Tube Preamp vs Solid State

I am in the process of choosing the right preamp for my system.
Speakers are Thiel CS 3.7, stereo amp Karan KAS 600 and source Ayon S5 network player.
Having a Karan solid state amp i can either take their KA-L Rerefence Mk3 preamp or go the tube way with a VAC Signature Mk2.
Will i benefit more mating the VAC preamp with my solid state amp ?
Any experience on the subject is welcome.
Thanks.
128x128thieliste

Thieliste Hi.

Before you try/buy waist money/time on anything, try this.

Your only source the Ayon S5 has a volume control, and it already has a highly regarded (by tube lovers) a low output impedance tube output stage which is a 6H30.
This is just like having a unity gain tube preamp, but with the extra gain that you don't need.
Because your 6h30 tube in the Ayon S5 gives out 2v at 700ohms and your Karan power amp only needs 2v for full output before it clips.
And the impedance match ratio from the Ayon output (700ohm) to your Karan input (33kohm) is a healthy 1:47 ratio, you have a great match to drive direct from Ayon to Karan, no need for anymore unneeded electronics in the signal path.

Cheers George
I am in GEorgelofi's camp these days and like to keep things simple. If you have enough gain, and a volume control, no need for any pre-amp other than as a potentially expensive (and inflexible) signal processor.

I am looking to try and dump all my active pre-amps at some point, probably when each finally gives up the goat. Maybe even next time I need a fresh set of tubes.
I use a BAT pre with a SS amp for my Thiel CS2.4's with good results, I would think you would also achieve the same especially if you want to "tame" any brightness at the top end.
Good Day Thieliste,

I,too, regard the Thiel Cs 3.7 as a true reference loudspeaker. I choose the CS 2.7 model, as my room is too small for the mighty 3.7-

Recently, I have read about BAT, VAC and VTL are being sonic matches w/ Thiel speakers.

Tell me about your cables/power cords that you plan on using?

Keep me posted- Thiel lover here!
Many thanks guys for your inputs!
You are right Georgelofi about the Ayon S5's volume control, it does work pretty well connected directly to the Karan amp.
Ayon is probably the only brand to date that make tube network players.
I was able to compare it directly to the Lumin S1 and for me the Ayon S5 goes much further.
Jafant VTL is the other brand that i was really thinking of for preamp with the VAC.
The cables are the French Brand "Esprit" with their Lumina speaker, interconnects and power cords.
Any of you guys out there own a VTL preamp that they can speak of ?