Tube Preamp vs Solid State

I am in the process of choosing the right preamp for my system.
Speakers are Thiel CS 3.7, stereo amp Karan KAS 600 and source Ayon S5 network player.
Having a Karan solid state amp i can either take their KA-L Rerefence Mk3 preamp or go the tube way with a VAC Signature Mk2.
Will i benefit more mating the VAC preamp with my solid state amp ?
Any experience on the subject is welcome.
Thanks.
128x128thieliste
A tube here or there or more is just one way to tweak, depending on goals. Common benefits and issues are well documented. No two units sound the same, SS or tube, so expect variability always depending on choices.

Some SS gear is designed to sound more like tube gear than the norm, but that is the exception not the rule.

IF using a tube pre-amp, just be sure the power amp input impedance is 30-40 Kohm or higher, 60Kohm or higher to be safe. If not distortion levels may be higher than needed. Dynamics and bass levels are likely the most impacted, but others may suffer less noticeably as well.

One tube based component in the signal path is typically enough for me. 1-3 tubes total per channel. I prefer and often can get away with none. Its all in the synergy and one's personal goals for how things should sound.

Compensating for fatiguing digital sound is often a reason one might turn to tubes historically, but I find modern good quality digital gear in the last 5-10 years or so (set up properly of course, need not be expensive) to mostly resolve that problem often associated with older generations of digital gear, usually due to higher jitter levels than desired. So tubes should not be needed for good performance with digital alone. One might still choose to use tubes because of the unique sound various tubes and tube gear might impart.
I've heard a "cheap" tube pre sound better than an expensive
SS pre many times.
Also have lost a pr of Rega RS-3 and a pair of KEF 105's to tube failure in a tube pre.

Thieliste Hi.

Before you try/buy waist money/time on anything, try this.

Your only source the Ayon S5 has a volume control, and it already has a highly regarded (by tube lovers) a low output impedance tube output stage which is a 6H30.
This is just like having a unity gain tube preamp, but with the extra gain that you don't need.
Because your 6h30 tube in the Ayon S5 gives out 2v at 700ohms and your Karan power amp only needs 2v for full output before it clips.
And the impedance match ratio from the Ayon output (700ohm) to your Karan input (33kohm) is a healthy 1:47 ratio, you have a great match to drive direct from Ayon to Karan, no need for anymore unneeded electronics in the signal path.

Cheers George
I am in GEorgelofi's camp these days and like to keep things simple. If you have enough gain, and a volume control, no need for any pre-amp other than as a potentially expensive (and inflexible) signal processor.

I am looking to try and dump all my active pre-amps at some point, probably when each finally gives up the goat. Maybe even next time I need a fresh set of tubes.
I use a BAT pre with a SS amp for my Thiel CS2.4's with good results, I would think you would also achieve the same especially if you want to "tame" any brightness at the top end.