Vandersteen 2CE Vs. Von Schweikert VR-2100

I had previously posted a thread looking for $1000 or under speakers to pair with Sunfire 300x2 amp, Sunfire Theatre Grand II pre, with high qualty interconnects and speaker wire. Great posts, thanks. This is for a smaller room in an apartment and two channel only. Anyone have direct experience with these two? I can get the Vandersteens cheaper (due to pickup vs. shipping) and am unfamiliar with either speaker. I am also considering something from Ohm Walsh but not seeing anything for sale of interest. I listen to mostly jam band (dead, phish, sci, wsp) and alternative/rock stuff. Mostly good to great quality recordings. I need full sound with solid bass, not really cranking it up. Thanks.
walstib
My first choice would be the Vandersteen. I've tried many different brands, and for me, they are the best. The VS's are excellent as well. I think they are both very good choices. You will probably find that the Vandersteen is a more detailed and revealing speaker. The balance is excellent, though. I find them to be the most neutral and transparent speakers I've heard. The VS is different. They're a little more forgiving, but excellent as well. Before you commit to anything, I would strongly urge you to demo the speakers if you can. I haven't heard the Ohm so I can't comment on it.
Thanks Zd542. I found a nearby pair of Vandy 2CE Sigs, so hopefully I will be able to listen. From the great support from fellow agoners I am comfortable with that choice.
I'd be sure to listen to Vandys with rock. I think that this description from another forum captures Vandy 2CEs well (I have only head them briefly in less than ideal settings):

"Vandy's are the epitome of "laid back." I've found through the years that few brands foster as much dissention as Vandersteen. They are a true "love-it" or "hate-it" proposition. I fall into the latter, but Richard's fans are legion and swear by them so he must be doing something right. The bottom line is you're going to have to listen to them and decide for yourself. Personally, I would think the rolled off extremes of the 2ce would soften the impact of good rock music, but at least it won't be fatiguing."

If possible give a listen with that in mind. May not pair particularly well with your musical tastes.
If you play your music loud do not buy Vandersteens. They will not hold up.
I should have addressed this in my first response. It has to do with Roscoeiii's comments above. I have absolutely no idea how anyone could come up with that description. I'm not trying to be rude or find fault but I don't know anyone that knows Vandersteen speakers that would share such an opinion. I personally think that its a rumour that someone started and everyone else just ran with it for some reason. To get them to sound like that you would have a hard time if you tried to do it on purpose. If anything, its just the opposite. Actually, they are transparent and neutral to a fault. Its entirely possible you may find them too revealing and detailed. There's a reason these speakers get paired with Ayre so often (myself included). Ayre is considered to be capable of resolution that very few other brands can come close to. To get the most out of them, the last speaker you would want to use is something that fits the above description.

Again, I'm not looking to offend anyone. Roscoeiii does state that he heard them briefly in less than ideal settings. I have to believe, that is the basis for his response. Otherwise, though, I would encourage a demo before you buy. No matter what I think, you still need to see if you like them yourself. Also, there are detailed setup instructions in the manual. You have to follow them for best results. Its not difficult, but it may take an hour or more to get them positioned properly and the back tilt set.
Thanks for replys.
I love the tinkering with positioning, wiring etc and find my self rearranging rooms to make sound better, so no issue with any of that.
I do not play it loud and that is critical. I need full, great sound at moderate levels. The Sunfire Amp has always pushed what ever speakers i have connected very well at low to medium volume in my opinion.
I have my eyes on a pair of the VSA VR-2100 and a pair of Vandy 2CE Signatures.
Assuming price is the same, anyone's opinions with experience of either of these would be appreciated.
I have a pair of 2Ce Sigs, driven by a McCormack DNA-1 (great match by the way). I would not say that the Vandys are laid back, but I would say that they are musical and certainly not harsh or brittle. I am very sensitive to harsh top ends.

I have learned that there is such a thing as system synergy, and speakers will sound somewhat different depending on associated equipment.

The 2Ce's are great fit for me based on my budget and preferences. They are a great buy for the money. I would definitely evaluate them.

I am sure there are viable options in your price range, but you could definitely do worse....good luck. Enjoy the hunt!
Walstib, I have a pair of 2ci, not the ce sigs so I don't know how the two compare, but, I don't care much for them. They do have great bass, they don't fatigue me and they do some magic tricks but I prefer more detail and pin point imaging, which the 2ci didn't do for me. I do see there appeal, it just wasn't really my cup of tea :-)
I think there are many nice speakers out there for under $1k. I don't have much experience with dynaudio or tekton but they both get great reviews. I just picked myself up a pair of kef qx5's for $1k and so far, I really like them quite a bit :-)
Reading your original post again, I agree that the vandies may not be the best for rock. Drums were very laid back with slightly rolled off highs. Percussions didn't have much impact and cymbals were pretty quiet. I'm comparing them to my paradigm studio's with sounded great with rock music.
B limo, Which 2Ci do you have? If you have the soft dome tweeter they are very old speakers and there is a good chance they are not working properly. Imaging should not be an issue with Vandersteens unless your drivers are not matched.
I'm pretty sure they are the soft domes. They image okay, just not as precise as my paradigm studio's or my kef's. they are slightly more diffuse in there imaging. They work properly, to the best of my knowledge.
Rrog i would say its more that he didnt have em spiked
with proper tilt back as in the manual.
JohnnyR
I can't comment on the Vandy 2's, but I've had many years of wonderful listening to the Grateful Dead through my old Vandy 1C's. First driven by Arcam electronics, and then by my Rogue Audio Cronus, the 1C's were perfect for me. Positioning, however, is critical to get any Vandersteen speaker to sound its best. Proper toe-in, vertical tilt, and freedom from rear and side walls are all very important, and the well written Vandersteen manuals offer great explanations. Good Luck with your search, and Happy Listening !
"B limo, Which 2Ci do you have? If you have the soft dome tweeter they are very old speakers and there is a good chance they are not working properly. Imaging should not be an issue with Vandersteens unless your drivers are not matched."

I have to agree. I'm pretty sure that the 2Ci's were current in the 80's. Not to get off topic, but they can be upgraded. I think Vandersteen can turn them into Sig 1's, but not Sig 2's. Also, with regards to imaging, every component in the system is part of the equation. Its not always the speakers fault if the system doesn't image well. I have an old Rowland amp that I use on occasion. When I plug it into the system, I lose all sense of depth. Its completely flat. I have no idea why, either. Thats just the way it is.
Vandersteen 2CE sigII are a very good all around speaker. I found them to be good with all types of music.
The Vandy 2 series is a natural, sonic match for that Sunfire power amp!

Happy Listening!
The search is on for some Vandy's. Hope to find some 2CE SIGs. Thanks for all the advice and comments.