Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
grey9hound,

Due to the way Tekton is marketed and disadvantages that overall lack of actual stores brings, it may not be easy for you to get real impression of Moabs before commiting. Still, I would take "World Owners Club" or very enthusisatic owners’ opinions with a few scoops of salt. You would not go to The Beatles fan club and ask what is the best band in the world.

It may be hard to find non-owners, or non-loud owners, who have heard Moabs so you can get an impression. Not every owner will join the website of fan club or even a thread like this. Those who do go to that length are by default at least slightly biased so approach with care.

I will repeat myself for an umpteenth time in this thread.

If there is anything like "Tekton sound" and you have Double Impacts that you like, I suspect you will like Moabs. I am not sure if I have ever heard Double Impacts so I am not comparing but am only assuming that higher model will bring more of what you may like.

There is no lack of bass with Moabs. At least should not be for an average consumer. It is strong, it is clear, I am suprised that anyone would feel the need for a subwoofer, but different strokes for different folks.

Moabs do play loud and sound "lively". At the first moment, that may impress and make one feel "wow, this is good, just like being there". I am not sure if that is some sort of a Tekton signature sound, but not everyone will like it after a while.

Mids, in my opinion, are nothing to write home about. Heard better, heard worse, even in that same price range.

Highs, again in my opinion, are the weakest "link" in that whole package. Some would describe it as clarity, detail, maybe a few more like that. A few thought "harsh, sandpaper, overdone".

It really all depends on your taste and preferences. I can see how people could easily fall in love with Moabs’ sound and call it a day. I can understand why the rest would be baffled with all those accolades.

For some reason, Moabs bring the picture of what I imagine would be a moment at Woodstock close to the stage, left side (hmmm, isn’t that where mapman was supposed to exit), while Jimi Hendrix is playing. They do not bring the image of the front row middle in a major concert hall while Pittsburgh/Honeck are playing Mahler’s 5th symphony. Of note, I have not been to Woodstock while Jimi Hendrix was playing so it is just imagination.

I suggest the suggestion from a page or two ago. Reach out and ask if anyone in your area has a pair you could come to listen to. Reading overzealous fanboys’ "reviews", watching youtube advertisements barely disguised as "reviews", or even "no horse in this race" description like mine above will not tell you much.

That was just about the sound. The rest of the deal you probably already know from your Double Impact shopping experience.

Just remember, Moabs are large. They are larger than measurements may lead you to think. Run it by whoever may veto the purchase based on appearance.

Grilles are available for purchase, ($140, I believe) and randym860 who owns them reported that although there is some difference in sound, it seems fairly negligible (my words, not his). Check his posts for more reviews of Moabs on this thread.
glupson, nice Moab synopsis. Not glowing (like a Moab owner) Not completely unbiased, but hitting perspectives from a number of angles. And others may want to add more to what they really hear from them.
Calling people out an every conceivable foible after poking them is kinda baiting, and it's not sport, it's miserable on the receiving end. I have six brothers. Loads of punch ups. Kind of gutless to poke with no possibility of a punch in the nose.

Yeah, I grew up old school.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nicely put. My Wonderful grandmother use to say, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Now go to the willow tree and cut a SWITCH.  She was the church pianist and organ player in Texas for 75 years of her 99 year life.

Over 30 (boy) cousins and brothers, at a time... Punching,  wrestling, drowning, setting on fire.. What ever it took. I was 2nd to youngest..
A great swimmer and NUMBER one fire starter...  :-)

NONE of the older guys pushed it to far, I had some girl cousins that were tougher than the whole lot...You couldn't hit a girl.
Better boxers than most men I knew.

Regards

@jetter - it may be so. I know I have certainly rubbed some members the wrong way, and they’ve made some pretty nasty responses (which incidentally my growing up with my six brothers have helped me to weigh up with reality) I can see the guy who slandered me thought I was being opinionated (I absoluately was), and he thought I was also being misleading (many others chimed in, suggesting that I may have not been misleading at all).

I have met all kinds of people, shy, full of themselves, humble and whatnot.
Personally whatever millercarbon has done to press your buttons, I see someone who actually tries to contribute. Whether you agree with him. or don’t, get rubbed up the wrong way or not, he’s here to share information the way he does.

maghister, did say many things I have read... one of them was about if someone presses your buttons look at yourself. There’s truth to it.

Anyone can say they’re superior to me, they can even think it and believe it, however what I think about me is more important to me.

@mapman - yeah I’m one who says that springs make a difference, so does the materials and the tension of the drivers screws in the baffle amoungst other things - and yeah I do have it already as well. Honestly I have no clue if mine is bigger (oops I meant better, yes better) than yours, mine is better with, than without.