PrimaLuna Evo 200 underwhelming

Hi all, I wonder if someone can help or advise. I bought an ex. Display Primaluna Evo 200 a couple of weeks ago, mainly based on all the rave reviews and excellent comments on various forums. I must say, that vocals are terrific but overall, the sound seems muffled. There seems to be a hole where the mid range detail should be. I have tried the 4 and 8 ohm settings and there doesn’t seem a great deal of difference. I am using it with a Linn Genki CD player and Robson Acoustics Opulus speakers, also Vintage Tannoy Mercury speakers. I haven’t messed with the tubes because I have no idea how to do that. I so want this amplifier to sound beautiful but there is something missing. Can anyone help please?
golfnut2

Showing 7 responses by kingbarbuda

Please humor me: please check *carefully* the speaker cable connections on the back of the PrimaLuna. It is easy in poor lighting to mistake the 8ohm tap for the ground. Also check the connections on your speakers. Usually these things are something simple that was overlooked. Been there and done that! 
@keeferdog Wow. You weren’t kidding (I didn’t think you were). Today I received and installed a set of 8 KT150s from TubeDepot and I am putting my PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP through its initial workout of a very big playlist via Roon/Qobuz. This is an entirely new amp! Where do I start? Compared to the stock EL34s, the soundstage is huge. Imaging is great. Bass and sub bass is big and tight. Everything is bigger and more forward. Highs on cymbals and high hats are discrete. It is just better in every way. And this is just on the initial listening session right out of their boxes! Before these KT150s I was thinking of selling this PrimaLuna. It was just ho-hum. Now? Unreal. This thing is going nowhere. Thanks for the tip on the KT150s. By the way, TubeDepot was great to work with and very responsive to my shipping concerns and everything worked out. I will let them know too. If any of you own a PL, check your manual. If you can use KT150s! It will revolutionize your amp. No kidding.
@holmz My comments above are all within ultralinear. I have not tried triode yet. But I certainly will. Thanks. 
@holmz I agree. I briefly compared ultralinear with triode with the new KT150s. It was not subtle. Triode bass was boomier, mids and trebles were subdued and less clear and distinct. Basically everything in triode mode was less clear and distinct. I will be using ultralinear mode. It’s much better.
@holmz which amp do you have? Actually it sounds like you got worse results with triode. That lines up with what I reported above. 
@holmz. I am getting the impression that you are somehow vested in what my impressions of the KT150s are and that our experiences are in alignment. In one way, that is flattering. But on the other hand, our systems and rooms are completely different. I am streaming Qobuz via Roon through different equipment cables and speakers than you in a different room with KT150s that are not burned in yet. Plus I had already rolled two of my inner preamp tubes. If you have a lot of hours on your KT150s and you prefer the sound of triode mode over ultralinear then that is fine. Maybe after my tubes burn in I will have the same experience. Alternatively, maybe I won’t. Either way is ok with me. At this time I am preferring ultralinear on my setup with my gear in my room. I will try triode again when I get a chance. If I have time I may report back. Otherwise, enjoy your system. That’s the one that matters to you.