Pass Labs Amp X350.5 or X350.8 anyone compare?

I have searched for some opinions as to the sound quality comparison between the older Pass Labs X350.5 which I own and the newer X350.8.
It looks like the .8 does not operate as much in class A as the .5. But, that doesn't tell the story.
Anyone have a chance to listen to the newer X350.8? And if possible how does it compare to the X350.5?
128x128ozzy
If I can make a good deal I will buy the 350.8 in a few months. I am looking forward to own it!!
Yeah, the irony of someone with a $5500 retail set derogating the terrible quality of the $20000 speakers is just awesome. So many egos in this place... gotta love it when they get squeezed a little (sorry Don).

Exactly, and I'm not gonna get into a pissing match with this guy ie "my speakers are better than yours," "my JBLs smoke your Maggies" and blah blah blah.

To each is own, as usual. As long as I'm content with what I have (I still would like to upgrade the amp, preamp, and the sources) that's all that matters in the end. The truth of the matter is, I've spent hundreds of hours in front of these JBLs, and I'm happy, and I know how they sound.
If I can make a good deal I will buy the 350.8 in a few months. I am looking forward to own it!!

Cool Bo. Let us know how you like it!
Now that the X350.8 has enough playing time, this weekend I'm going to re-install my X350.5.

I know that I stated previously that I was going to keep the X350.8 but since I'm not rich, I would just like to double check one final time.

@Cal3713

JBL is nothing but an old school rock speaker regardless of price.

Burned out, old heavy metal heads are there only fans.

I stand by what I said.
With your Magnepan speakers in terms of highend focussed on all parts for the absolute sound there is still a lot missing. Even when people pay me 100 dollar each day I do not want those speakers at my place. They are okay, they are not that special. In 16 years of time I am in this business I have heard them very often. Visiting clients who have them, it is still incomplete for all parts for the absolute sound. Pass labs is superior in quality compared to Magnepan. The person who developed these speakers is not even allowed to tight up the shoes of Nelson Pass.
Wow, talk about elitism and snobbery! lol. Again Don_c55, I'm happy with what I have and I really don't care what you say one way or the other. I know damn well how the speakers sound. They *do* sound good with heavy metal, but they also sound good with acoustic guitar and female vocal. I am gonna stick to my pledge not to get into a pissing match here. However, your Maggies are not the be all end all or the cat's meow of speakers either. They are not perfect. You are delusional if you think that. It's not even the flagship of Magnepan!
@Dave;

You can't blame him. Because he doens't know what your speakers are. And that they are different compared to other JBL speakers.

People who have audio/music as a hobby think they know a lot. But often they don't. I have seen this in 16 years of time many times.

In my country they are even more stuppid. In audio there are a lot of F..mongols. Having a poor sound is one thing, but believing it is good is even more stuppid!!
You know Bo, come to think of it, you're right on that point. There's a lot of know-it-all types, and what have you. That extends into other hobbies and interests too, such as cars.
I give you another example. Last years on a show were over 50 distributers. One of the worst demos was with Lyngdorf.

It sounded harsh, fully 2 dimensional, almost no focus and the low freq. were aweful.

I took a person with me to this room because I wanted to show him something. He already knew it was worse.

We went into the room and I said to him; focus on the persons who give this demo. So he did, and I said: They really don't know how bad it is?

Even people who work in audio can be F...mongols!
Don, Maggies do certain things really well, but let's just say that Dave's JBLs absolutely smoke them in terms of dynamics and bass impact, and we can leave your foolishly-instigated pissing contest at that.
Boo whoo would care to stand next to you and listen to your sales pitch. Your demon meaner would make clients run to the CDC in Atlanta asking for a potential cure to your particlar contagion. Tom
@P59tetel

What have you been smoking?

Name one respected reviewer that loves JBL.

They are not REALISTIC, just boom and sizzle.
Dave, this guy is clearly trolling and has nothing worthwhile to offer you or anyone else on the topic of how the Pass .8 series will match your speakers.

So I suggest we DFTT (Don't Feed The Troll) and eventually he will light somewhere else where he can goad others into responding to his insecurities.
As this thread shows. I have had the new Pass Labs X350.8 for comparison purposes to my X350.5 amp. At first I wasn’t sure if the new .8 was an upgrade over my X350.5. Then I thought I was sure it was, but once again I have changed my mind.

I have been tweaking things to get the best sound out of the X350.8. But, I always thought that there was something wrong with the ‘presence’ range. You know that area that defines voices and the general soundstage. The .8 always sounded darker than the X350.5. And the treble sounded distant.

After many hours of playing the new X350.8, I reinstalled the X350.5 into the system a few weeks back. And you know what? I like that sound better. I knew it as soon as I turned on the power button that was the sound I was so familiar with and preferred.

Now, I can’t imagine that Pass Labs produced a new amp that is inferior to the previous model. No, I guess I would have to conclude that my preference to the .5 is that my whole system (including cables) were voiced with the X350.5 amp.

Changing to the .8 version was just not right with my present equipment and perhaps with my old man hearing.

So, I boxed up the X350.8 and sent it back to Reno HiFi. What a great guy Mark is and how lucky I am that he allowed me to really put the X350.8 through its paces for comparison purposes.
Ok, cool Ozzy, that's a fair and honest review. I suppose it boild down to taste and system matching with that particular .8 amp. Did you get all of your money back, may I ask?
Reno HiFi was excellent, I had to pay for the shipping both ways. Otherwise yes, I got a complete refund.
I've always had great service from Reno HiFi. Glad you had the same, Ozzy. I would expect nothing less from Mark. Someone will get a good deal on that X350.8 that Ozzy had for audition when it is sold as a demo unit at a reduced price.
I would try something smaller in class a. I had several JBL models loved em (after updating the crossovers and wiring) . Tried an x350.5 and it overshot the speakers sweet spot. You must listen very loud. I used Aleph 1.2 with my 4343 and I thought I overshot the sweetspot. Best of luck.