Pass Labs Amp X350.5 or X350.8 anyone compare?

I have searched for some opinions as to the sound quality comparison between the older Pass Labs X350.5 which I own and the newer X350.8.
It looks like the .8 does not operate as much in class A as the .5. But, that doesn't tell the story.
Anyone have a chance to listen to the newer X350.8? And if possible how does it compare to the X350.5?
128x128ozzy

Showing 9 responses by bo1972

@ Don_c55

JBL S4700 is maybe not the most refind loudspeaker. This 20.000 dollar set of speakers can still be a good combo with Pass labs. Because you need the power, control and musical sound for the JBL S4700.
Great information guys, I also thinking about upgrade to the 350.8.

In 5 years of time using many different Pass Labs amps, I did learn one important thing.

With th best powercables and interconnects you can get a superior level out of an Pass amp.

This means it is very easy to loose a lot of the quality an Pass amp can give. So most people spend a lot of money on an Pass amp and don't use a big part of the quality it is capable to give.

You need to understand the properties of Pass Labs. This is including their weakest points. These you need to improve with the right properties of cables ans sources or even with pre-amps.

The best sound possible only will come to the surface when you have created all the properties togheter in a set. Often a set is incomplete. Why it is incomplete? Because most people don't understand what is missing.
If I can make a good deal I will buy the 350.8 in a few months. I am looking forward to own it!!
With your Magnepan speakers in terms of highend focussed on all parts for the absolute sound there is still a lot missing. Even when people pay me 100 dollar each day I do not want those speakers at my place. They are okay, they are not that special. In 16 years of time I am in this business I have heard them very often. Visiting clients who have them, it is still incomplete for all parts for the absolute sound. Pass labs is superior in quality compared to Magnepan. The person who developed these speakers is not even allowed to tight up the shoes of Nelson Pass.
@Dave;

You can't blame him. Because he doens't know what your speakers are. And that they are different compared to other JBL speakers.

People who have audio/music as a hobby think they know a lot. But often they don't. I have seen this in 16 years of time many times.

In my country they are even more stuppid. In audio there are a lot of F..mongols. Having a poor sound is one thing, but believing it is good is even more stuppid!!
I give you another example. Last years on a show were over 50 distributers. One of the worst demos was with Lyngdorf.

It sounded harsh, fully 2 dimensional, almost no focus and the low freq. were aweful.

I took a person with me to this room because I wanted to show him something. He already knew it was worse.

We went into the room and I said to him; focus on the persons who give this demo. So he did, and I said: They really don't know how bad it is?

Even people who work in audio can be F...mongols!