Pass Labs Amp X350.5 or X350.8 anyone compare?

I have searched for some opinions as to the sound quality comparison between the older Pass Labs X350.5 which I own and the newer X350.8.
It looks like the .8 does not operate as much in class A as the .5. But, that doesn't tell the story.
Anyone have a chance to listen to the newer X350.8? And if possible how does it compare to the X350.5?
128x128ozzy

Showing 21 responses by dave_72

That's cool, Ozzy. Is there anything you like about it so far, or is it too early to tell?
Pretty cool. Congrats on the new amp. I look forward to your comparison. That should be fun. I wish I was over there to hear both side by side. :D
You're welcome, Ozzy. I'm considering Pass Labs as an upgrade (from another brand) myself. Just the amp though, I'm not too crazy about their preamps...
Dave 72, First impression. Pretty good...
Deeper soundstage, better bass and treble. Even at this early stage, I'm sure its a keeper.

Thanks for that, Ozzy, it definitely helps me out. I look forward to your full review...
Interesting...my understanding is that the .8 amps are supposed to have *more* life in the upper frequencies. Anyway, keep up the good work Ozzy!
Thanks Bo. Exactly. I dunno what this Don_c55 guy is talking about. I doubt he has heard the high end JBLs thoroughly. The S4700s *when broken in* can be very delicate indeed. And furthermore, they fit my listening profile as I listen to mainly classic rock, blues, and free jazz. With a little metal and punk on the side. So basically, I like them, they're the right speakers for me, and that's all that matters.
Hmmm...I'll have to say I don't like a subdued upper midrange and treble. If that's the case with these .8 amps, I'm no longer interested in them.
Thanks again, Ozzy. So I take it a long break in time is key to success. My current speakers (JBL S4700s) were like that; they were dreadful out of the box, and now they really rock the house. However, it took at least 200 hours of break in to even get close to where they are now. A word of warning to any prospective buyers out there!

Anyway, it's good to hear that the new Pass Labs amp is a winner. Again, I was worried for a minute there. If it were me, I probably would have had buyer's remorse! lol.
Yeah, the irony of someone with a $5500 retail set derogating the terrible quality of the $20000 speakers is just awesome. So many egos in this place... gotta love it when they get squeezed a little (sorry Don).

Exactly, and I'm not gonna get into a pissing match with this guy ie "my speakers are better than yours," "my JBLs smoke your Maggies" and blah blah blah.

To each is own, as usual. As long as I'm content with what I have (I still would like to upgrade the amp, preamp, and the sources) that's all that matters in the end. The truth of the matter is, I've spent hundreds of hours in front of these JBLs, and I'm happy, and I know how they sound.
If I can make a good deal I will buy the 350.8 in a few months. I am looking forward to own it!!

Cool Bo. Let us know how you like it!
Wow, talk about elitism and snobbery! lol. Again Don_c55, I'm happy with what I have and I really don't care what you say one way or the other. I know damn well how the speakers sound. They *do* sound good with heavy metal, but they also sound good with acoustic guitar and female vocal. I am gonna stick to my pledge not to get into a pissing match here. However, your Maggies are not the be all end all or the cat's meow of speakers either. They are not perfect. You are delusional if you think that. It's not even the flagship of Magnepan!
You know Bo, come to think of it, you're right on that point. There's a lot of know-it-all types, and what have you. That extends into other hobbies and interests too, such as cars.
Ok, cool Ozzy, that's a fair and honest review. I suppose it boild down to taste and system matching with that particular .8 amp. Did you get all of your money back, may I ask?