New In 2022

Happy New Year!

Feel free to cite New or Re-Issue(s) CD, Download, EP, LP, SACD, Single, Stream or Vinyl.

Happy Listening!

jafant

Coming From Light In The Attic Records in November: a 50th Anniversary Edition of Karen Dalton's legendary In My Own Time album.

Well that's interesting @jafant (Rock Of Ages). The original 2-LP set is one of my favorite live albums (along with their collaboration with Dylan on Before The Flood). By the way, in 2013 Capitol Records released an expanded 4-CD/1-DVD boxset of both night's performances, entitled Live At The Academy Of Music 1971: The Rock Of Ages Concerts. Well worth looking for and owning. It will be interesting to see of what the 50th Anniversary Edition is comprised.

bdp24

Always good to see you here. Yes, I love these 50th Anniversary Editions of Classic albums.  May there be many more.

Happy Listening!

bdp24

Thank You for the Live At The Academy of Music 1971 suggestion.

Happy Listening!

Not being released on LP until February of next year (though already available on SACD), but available as a pre-order now, is The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark, on Intervention Records.

The album was originally released on A & M Records in 1968 (along with the debut of The Flying Burrito Brothers), the duo forming after Gene Clark left The Byrds and Doug Dillard left The Dillards (his replacement was Herb Pedersen, who later teamed up with Chris Hillman of The Byrds in The Desert Rose Band). Also appearing on the album is Bernie Leadon, long before he was a member of The Eagles.

Great album! Along with the aforementioned Flying Burrito Brothers (of which Chris Hillman was of course instrumental in forming) debut, Dylan’s John Wesley Harding, The Byrds Sweethearts Of The Rodeo (Hillman brought in Gram Parsons to replace the departing David Crosby), and Music From Big Pink by of course The Band, these albums ushered in the new, more Country/Hillbilly direction Rock music took on a cult/hip level. If you don’t think those albums resulted in The Grateful Dead making their 1970 Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty albums, well, you're mistaken ;-) .

Yep Roc has three albums of great interest coming out soon:

- On November 4th, a 30th Anniversary reissue of Iris Dement's startling debut album Infamous Angel. Originally issued on CD only, the album was offered by Vinyl Me Please as their January 2022 Country title, and quickly sold out (I got my copy, did you? ;-). I can't praise Iris enough; she is my favorite living songwriter and singer. Utterly fantastic!

- Also on November 4th, a 10th Anniversary reissue of Tift Merritt's Traveling Alone. I have the album on CD, and will be getting the reissue LP.  Tift, another superior songwriter and singer.

- On November 11th, an 11th Anniversary reissue of Dave Alvin's Eleven Eleven album (like alliteration? ;-) . Most of you probably already know about Dave, but if you don't: He emerged as the lead guitarist and main songwriter of The Blasters (with his brother Phil on rhythm guitar and lead vocals), then moved on to the band X, and finally went solo. He has also collaborated with a favorite of mine, Jimmy Dale Gilmore. I haven't heard Eleven Eleven, but intend to.

bdp24

Thank You for the Tift and Dave(Alvin) suggestions.  Perhaps there will be a CD offering on both artists.  I do not know Iris ?

Happy Listening!

Yep Rock is issuing all three of the above albums on both LP and CD. The label has national distribution (my local independent stocks the label), but I don’t know about Amazon.

I learned of Iris from Merle Haggard, who recorded her devastating song "No Time To Cry". He was very effusive in his praise of her songwriting abilities (he was a "fair" writer himself ;-) . Other admirers of hers are Joan Osborne and Emmylou Harris, both of whom appear in videos of hers. Another is John Prine, with whom she collaborated and toured. She's a national treasure!

@bdp24 

How's the SQ of Iris' VMP release? 45 RPM Audiophile wasn't too complimentary of that pressing. Wonder if the YepRoc will be different?

@slaw: Actually Steve, it wasn’t the pressing Michael Ludwig didn’t care for, it was the music. His review of the album was a stark reminder to me that Michael’s musical taste and mine overlap only peripherally. I am a singer/songwriter aficionado, Michael likes Jazz and Electronic music.

From the excellent booklet included in the VMP album, written by David Cantwell (author of Heartaches By The Number: Country Music’s 500 Greatest Songs, and The Running Kind: Listening To Merle Haggard. David has also written for The New Yorker and Rolling Stone Country):

"Iris DeMent released Infamous Angel in 1992. Thirty years later, the album remains among the most singular and fully realized singer-songwriter debuts since the invention of that category in the early ’70’s."

Robert Christgau characterized her "Let The Mystery Be" as "miraculous".

John Prine, on the album’s back cover: "Listen to this music...it’s good for you."

I actually feel sorry for Michael Ludwig; there’s something missing from his soul. No offense intended, Michael ;-) .

The VMP pressing is fine, perhaps done at QRP (Chad has done a number of LP’s for VMP). But the vinyl of the LP is splatter blue, which seems silly to me (I’m not a teenage girl ;-) . The VMP LP actually bears the name Yep Roc Records on it’s center label, so I assume the new LP will differ only in it’s pressing, not it’s mastering. Hope it’s black!

I also hope Yep Roc issues Irises 2nd album---My Life---on LP. It contains her utterly devastating song "No Time To Cry", as heart-wrenching a song as I have ever heard. The album was finally released on LP by Plain Recordings about ten years ago, and could use a reissue in a better pressing. Come on Chad, make room for it ;-) .

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (Parlophone LP Re-issue)

All new, no reissues or archive releases.
There's way to much great new music, for me to waste time with yet more reissyes...
Mary Halvorson - Amaryllis / Jazz guitarist, Mary Halvorson, really hit her stride with this release. While not quite completely avant-garde, it certainly pushes some boundaries.
Unsuk Chin – Scherben der Stille (Shards of Silence), for violin and orchestra / This woman has yet to disappoint me with her compositions.
Green Asphalt - Green Asphalt / Very good Gentle Giant inspired prog from Sweden. Really well executed.
Anna Thorvaldsdottir– ARCHORA / Iceland seems to be producing lots of great composers lately, Anna Thorcladsdottir may be the best of them.
One Shot - À James / This great fusion offshoot of Magma lost their phenomenal guitarist, James MacGaw, to brain cancer earlier this year, but this release is incredible.
5uu's / Dave Kerman The Quiet in Your Bones / A pretty extreme avant-prog album. Kind of hit or miss, but the parts that hit are awfully good.
Knekklectric - Alt Blir Verre / Norwegian prog-fusion, with even a bit of pop vocals.
Asceta - Asceta / Some really top quality avant-prog from this Chilean band. A really nice discovery for me.
October Equus - Noches Blancas, Luces Rojas / Great avant-prog from Spain. May be a good place for avant-prog newbies, since they don't stray too far from classic prog.
Big Big Train - Welcome to the Planet / Speaking of classical prog, this band is not breaking any new ground, but it's hard to argue with their great melodies.
Julian Anderson – Symphony No. 2

US Girls - “So Typically Now” (new digital single, 4AD)

Lee Hazlewood & Nancy Sinatra - Nancy & Lee (reissue, vinyl, CD, cassette, 8-track, Light in the Attic Records)

Brian Eno - ForeverAndEverNoMore (new album, vinyl, CD, Verve/UMC)

Lou Reed - Words and Music, May 1965 - (new album, vinyl, CD, cassette, 8-track, Light in the Attic Records)

Mavis Staples: We'll Never Turn Back LP---15th Anniversary Edition (Anti Records), produced by Ry Cooder.