Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Any experiences?

I just purchased a Modwright KWI-200 Integrated Amp. I am waiting for it to be shipped. I've never heard it and cannot find a proper review of it online. Any experiences with anyone? My expectations are high.
routeman21
I apologize for the uissues that the poster has experienced. The first unit that arrived DOA had an undersized fuse. Some early units did experience a need for readjustment of DC bias, but this has been resolved and we are happy to address issues with any such early units.

We stand behind every product that we produce 100% in order to insure customer satisfaction.

Sincerely,

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc
Hiya there,
I have one technical question in regards to HT bypass on this integrated. I see that it has a button on the front of the chassis. Are users also able to select HT bypass mode also by pressing a button on a remote control?

Thanks for answer.

p.s. reading this thread with great interest and looking to hear more revisited thoughts.
Hey there,
I will answer my own question. I found a manual of ModWright KWI-200 on the official website and went through it. Unfortunately HT bypass/Pre-input is not selectable with remote control. In order to trigger that mode you need to stand up from your comfort zone and press a button on the front panel of the amplifier :).
I did not heard ModWright KWI-200 but what you wrote till now triggered my interest as you described the sound on a way that is compatible what I like and I search in the music presentation. I like a sound a little bit on the warm side, meaty sound and voices from singers that are really singing with the full capacities of their lounges, good natural timbre of the instruments so that I can almost grab them in my room. Good control in the bass. Instruments and musicians were with me in the room. I stopped to think about the equipment and only what stayed was music and nothing else. I was lost in that space of music. Till now I experienced these feelings I'm describing now only with good old Gryphon Tabu that I had on my trial. But unfortunately I did not have many high class amplifiers on trial.

Still I would like to hear this new ModWright KWI-200 and see and hear how it would act with my Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers that I have. Two Americans, compatible? Hmm, maybe, I'm a little bit intrigued?! To throw a small bone into the fire I would like to ask if maybe anybody had a chance to hear it or has any theory or experiences how it would act with Antony Gallo speakers? I know this question is like searching needle in the hay and answer might be more theoretical, but still maybe we can extract some useful information.

Other amps that still grabs my close attention are the following: two a little bit older: Gryphon Callisto 2200, Gryphon Tabu; again from Gryphon camp: Gryphon Atilla, Gryphon Diablo; Karan KA-I180; Leben CS600; McIntosh MA7000 and finally now also this new ModWright KWI-200 integrated.
best, d.
I will throw out my experience with Modwright just as are reference point. I bought a used and quite old Modwright Pre-amp that had some issues with grounding. It was years out of warranty but Modwright not only repaired it but they paid for the shipping round trip twice (yes it took them two tries but in the end it worked out, and yes I was frustrated to be without a Pre for that long also). If you value honest service, integrity, and support of quality American products then you can't lose with Modwright. Just my $.02.
Totally agree...Dan at modwright(as well as everyone)goes out of his way bigtime to make sure that your happy with your modwright gear.I have had experiences where they could give a rats #%*.Plus they dont scratch the crap out your gear.Cant say that for a couple of very well respected manufactures.Dan has earned my respect as a designer and as a very diplomatic (manager,boss).Thank god i can still talk to the boss.Still loving my kwi200.I am glad i went with them!
Hello, I just surfed a net today a little bit in a search for more ModWright KWI 200 opinions and experiences and found this cool review from New Zealand. Click for Review.

best, d.
Hello, as there is already some time passed since the first users bought this marvel here I wonder how do you feel Modwright KWI 200 after some months of listening? Did the amp with its character succeed to go under your skin and settle good in your systems? Or opposite you start to flirt with other amplifiers that you think will bring some different presentation of music?
I'm aware that in audio good assessment can be made after some time living with your component.
Thanks for your answers,

best,
D.
D,
You may have read my posts from 8/13 & 8/14 where I mentioned returning my KWI-200 to Modwright for repair. I received a new unit 10/19 and it is now burning in. Sounds great new from the box. During it's 2 month absence I was alternating between a McIntosh MA6300 and Bryston B-100 SST integrated amp. My journey is not finished but I will be focusing on the Modwright for the time being. I still want to try out a used Accuphase and a higher priced Luxman (L-507U or higher).
Hi Routeman21, yes I follow this thread and also all your posts and was aware of the incident that you had with Modwright. I sure looking forward to your review and comparison between the other amps that you also like to try. I think it will be of a high value for people who are deciding for some better integrated. Looking forward to that. I also searched the internet (British, French, New Zealand forums) but there is not so much users of Moodwright KWI 200. When an amp was launched there were some inputs but latter on opinions and quite limited.

wish you best, d.
Routerman21, Please keep us posted. There are folks on the sidelines looking forward to you observations. I live in Washington state and have had two of Modwright's Sony players. I have found Dan to be very responsive to questions and any issues and glad you have received your new unit.
It's been some time since my last post but I now have about 100 hours on the Modwright KWI200. I believe it has more time to burn in but I thought I would post now. I am very pleased with it's overall sound, in fact at about 100 hours it sounds better than the first unit did with 300 hours. Dan did increase the operating bias so it does sound better and also gets warmer than the first unit.

Compared to the MAC & Bryston, which are similarly priced, it has superior dynamics, soundstage is wider & images are more precise with voices sounding like they are more THERE! Very musical presentation for solid state.
The Bryston is a little smoother (which I like) but the Modwright is more balanced thru out the frequencies; extended bass & highs. Of course, the Modwright has twice the power than the others and it easily powers my 87db bookshelves so relatively inefficient floorstanders shouldn't be an issue.

I highly recommend an audition with the KWI200 or just take a chance and purchase it if you can afford it. Modwright's customer service (Dan himself) is second to none and handled my problem in a fashion where he had to be totally satisfied with the repair before shipping it back to me. Quality control!
Great thanks for this feedback Routeman. Nice to observe a satisfaction with the KWI 200. Btw I found some more reviews of this Modwright integrated. Here:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue63/modwright_integrated.htm

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright10/1.html
Hmmm I had the 150 SE for a short while.....modified, a one off. not impressed although I was hoping to be. Thought volume for that amp was not comparable to other amps of equal lesser value, and sound quality fairly flat. But I like loud, I like boost, and natural tone is boring to me. So maybe it will be great for you to sure.
I now have had my KWI-200 since this past May, and I am still trilled with it, so far there have been no issues and it has performed very well. The amp was driving a pair of PMC FB1i's but I have since replaced them and the amp with either the PMC's or now my Selah's is still very clean, dynamic and enjoyable to listen too. I do believe this will be my last IA for some time to come, I may add a MW LS-100 for flexibility but as of now I am in no hurry to do so. I would guess the IA has about 100-150 hrs of use.
I have owned and still own Dans products or several years , always very musical and dependable. I personally always look what's under the cover
And I can tell you without hesitation parts quality is first rate.Nichicon
Capacitors ,as well as Elna, 1 percent resistors, all close matched Mosfets on the outputs, and one of the best and very expensive1.5va Lundahl
Transformer.many name brand companies use parts quality not even close to this standard,and is a -0 feedback design and direct coupled.
This all ads up to very low noise,high resolution ,excellent detail and dynamics.this integrated is a absolute steal at the $5k mark .i know of no
Seperates that can compete with this integrated even at $6k. Go look at any of the competitors products and look at the design and parts quality.
This unit takes at least 400 hours to fully runin, and a Good quality power cord is a Mustiness was shocked even in one of the reviews they used the stock Beldon cord,that totally handicaps the unit.they expect the Audiophile consumer to do this with a cable of their brand name choice. for it is a high current design and a minimum of at least a $400 power cord IMO. My friend has tried a bunch from the cable companyAnd you are well rewarded for your efforts.i have read where one reader said it did not meet his standards? Whatdoes that mean ?
He gave no logical answer or answers ,and what. Did he compare it against
Apples to apples not something at $10 k . Against the Pass labs integrated,
Sim Audio, or Lsa signature. And Mcintosh .I have heard them all. The Modwright is more refined and doubles down in power 200 wpc at 8 ohms ,and
400 wpc into a 4 ohm load. Not one of the competitors have this added
Head room and abilities.the point I tried to convey here is look at everything from the inside out ,other reviews, and then go have a . Listen.
If you do make a purchase ,buy a good powercord,not hook up to a cheap power strip either.
Direct to quality wall socket if possible. I have spent over 35 years in this hobby and more then a nice home in purchases.i can say with some conviction this is. Solid investment that will serve you well for years
I felt I had to say something for their are to many variables to just make a blank statement ,comparisons, and why,if not then why put doubt
In other consumers mind . What is your setup and compared to what.
Cables also need to be the same.i always bring my MIT
Cables when considering a purchase .as Albert Einstein once said
Not everything that counts can be counted ,and not everything that can be counted counts !
I have received a Few emails asking if I think the modwright is the best out there ,my answer is for the $5k range it is. Solid investment,is it the best integrated amp, out there ? No it is not a reference unit
It is. Great unit at it's price point. As far as th best out there Lindemann is excellent in the Next level of performance then
Without a doubt the Vitus RI -100, would be a true reference.
This should answer questions pertaining to integrated amps.
I know this thread is old and no one has replied in a long time but I'll put in my two cents worth. I had a KWI 200 and it was the best-sounding piece of electronics I have ever owned. It had a great, clear, full, gutsy sound. I had it running Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers and those are also amazing. It was a killer combination and I wish I still had all of those pieces.
mine is still with me and sounding better than ever...
My other considerations were sim 600i and pass 150.
Glad I went w/dans amp....nice piece of gear.
I sold my KWI-200 earlier this year, not due to any discontent with the IA, but moved onto MW seperates instead. Without a doubt if I wasn't so impressed with the KWI I never would
considered the move to seperates. Modwright amps such a joy to listen too.
I have not heard the Modwright but I own the Exemplar Audio Exception and it is stunning good. I would recommend any one in the market to do some research on the Exception before buying something else. John has recently upgraded the preamp and the unit has gotten even better.
Part of the reason for going with dans integrated was a long conversation with him and I told him I had at least 2 other considerations...One of them I was very familiar with tone/signature...the other would have been a leap of faith...Dan assured me that his amp could hold its own w/the 2 others...I had never owned anything with that power ratting...I wanted something with some kick.
Turns out...I end up reading a review about the kwi 200 and just happens to mention the very two others I considered.
The modwright has more than delivered on this and easily walks on anything I have ever owned...
I understand this post is old, however, I am getting so tired of manufactured cliche descriptions of audio sound. Terms like "organic, neutral, warm, biased, tight, extended, rolled off, and relaxed." It's all a bunch of crap. You guys parrot what some "critic" made up before most of you were born. Here's an idea. Describe how your equipment makes you FEEL. If you are taken away by the presentation of the music, if you become lost in the "imaging" and forget the equipment, then you have a special piece of kit. The KWI-500 allows me to FEEL. And that is what it is all about.