Is there a better integrated amp than the Cary SI-300.2d for the money?

Hi all,

I have a very large stereo system from PBN that I love.  The two amps each weigh 200 lbs (with 4 kva transformers each) and there is a separate very large power supply for both the preamp and phono preamp.  Top notch quality.  But, too big for our new house.  Again, I love that system (2 Olympia amps together with the Olympia LX and Olympia P preamps) but need to switch.  Does anyone have experience with the Cary SI-300.2d integrated amp?  What are some good solid state amps at the $4k - $5k price range?  Thanks in advance for your help.

ozfly

I remember listening to McIntosh 30+ years ago and was blown away. It was a Crown and McIntosh combo driving a combination of JBL horns and 15" woofers in custom designed cabinets (my friend was an Electrical Engineer who later owned a recording studio -- he got me into the audiophile world).  I’ll look at some of the Classe reviews again. If it beats McIntosh, well ...

However, I have a couple of analog inputs so I need to consider that as well.

Again, thanks Audiogon community for the input.  Much appreciated.

Classe claims it isn’t standard Class D, and they designed their own amplifier. They have a white paper out that explains the technical details. Also, look at the Stereophile review to get some insight. I bought a used demo so I got a good price.  I’m coming from a Mcintoshe preamp and amplifier and I like the sound of the Classe better, especially since I listen to digital exclusively.
Classe Classe claims it isn’t standard Class D, and they designed their own amplifier.  They have a white paper out that explains the technical details.  Also, look at the Stereophile review to get some insight.  I bought a used demo so I got a good price.  

Thanks grannyring. I’ll look into it and try to compare it to the Cary provided the pricing is in the ballpark. I do have one or two analog inputs so I’ll ask Neal about that.

sfseay, thanks for the suggestion.  I'm a little nervous about class D -- maybe I'm just old fashioned. 

I just purchased the Classe Sigma 2200i integrated not long ago. Steroophile gave it an “A” rating and I’m ver happy with it. I’m looking forward to using the room equalization features, but can’t speak to the quality of the onboarrd DAC.

The amplifier section is identical to the highly regarded Classe CA-D200.
Thanks grannyring.  I've been doing a lot of research on the product based on aniwolfe and your recommendations.  The modules are interesting -- big price differences.  Right now I am looking for someone who doesn't require a 15% restocking fee since I will be comparing it head to head.  Thanks again.
The Lyngdorf 2170 is absolutely wonderful. It is far more than an integrated amp however. No need for a dac either. The room correction is state of the art and a game changer. I replaced $18,000 worth of top rated separates and wire with it. Sounds better! Sleeper in this country, but the real deal.

This is a very special piece utilizing innovative technology not seen in any other piece of gear. Before you buy try one out and you will smile.

Neal at Sound Science is your man.
Hi glennewdick.  The Luxman products look very nice.  A bit more pricey than I had hoped for the power, but the reviews and specs look really good.  Thanks
Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.  I am doing additional research based on your responses.  Creek sounds like a great company jetson.
Luxman make some very nice integrated amps may find a acuphase used as well for that money. Then there is the audio research amps used and so many others. Start reading 
I had a Creek 4330 for years.  Actually I still have it and stored it before using it to build an office system. My system now has an Ayre integrated. 
My current Ayre is definitely a step up from the Creek, but they have 20 years of difference between when they were manufactured and are at different price points. 
Ayre will be coming out with the unit to replace the AX-7e soon, and I imagine many will hit the used market soon. 
Thus, if you want new I think creek is a great way to go, if used is OK, you might consider picking up an AX-7e. 

Ps Creek has excellent customer service. My volume Pot developed a problem after about 15 years. After trying various sources and being unsuccessful, I called Creek and they said they'd look through their old stuff, and call back in a few days. They did, I did, and they sent me the part for free except for shipping. 

I highly recommend the Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 integrated amp. I know some tube lovers that got this amp and have not looked back, including me. Best integrated that I have heard. It has state of the art Room Correction, Dac, sounds great at all volumes, no interconnects needed. Silky smooth highs/midrange and kickin bass. Its a must listen in my opinion.

http://lyngdorf.com/tdai-2170/

The Creek does look interesting.   Creek is always impressive.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Creek is very nice and only about 2k with some modules...

You'd need to listen to both to see if sounded better than the Cary
Line Magnetic 518. Oops, not solid state. I just can't do non tubes! The LM is a cracker.