Album Of The Year 2011

Ok, 2011 is winding to a close, it's been a wonderful year for music. I have really enjoyed the best of 2011 music thread so I figured why not toss up a year end personal award thread.

It was a tough choice for me but after much deliberation my album of the year 2011 goes to (drum roll)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAMxAYkU7gQ

Laura Marling "A Creature I Don't Know"

For me, it's timeless music, beautifully written and played with heart and soul. I cannot think of any women aside from Joni Mitchell that moves me the way Lara Marling does. Such an amazing talent. The chick is heaven sent.

Runner up to The Mountain Goats "All Eternals Deck"

And you?
richard_stacy
Rok2id - As far as my pick; Diamond Mine is a pretty raw, and unconventional recording. Not your typical audiophile fare. In general, I do prefer acoustic music and smaller arrangements myself (though my tastes are not limited to that), both with live performances and with music I listen to at home. I don't think the preference has anything to do with what sounds best on my system. The handful of live concerts I've walked out of have all been obnoxiously loud, amplified affairs...I have a very limited tolerance for it. Just a personal preference.
Love Laura Marling. Agree with everything Richard says.

The other sleeper album for me was the Throwdowns "Legs of our Own". Band is from Maui and gets no mainland support. Erin Smith is a witty song writer and the band is fantastic live. Guitarist sounds like Edge and the drummer is amazing. Has a nice dynamic drum soundstage.

I was underwhelmed by Beastie Boys, Radiohead, Coldplay and RHCP. I thought Wilco and Tom Waits rose to the occasion. I just heard the Black Keys album and think it is the best album they have ever recorded.

Best debut was by a band called Dale Earnhart Jr. Jr. Imagine the lovechild of Fleet Foxes and the Beatles. Really impressive stuff. I also loved the R & B sounds of Aloe Blaac. He broke in Europe, playing with everyone from Sir Paul McCartney to the best of British R & B. Think he will grow to be compared with Otis.
2011 has been really good and I'm not even sure I can say there is just one album of the year for me. "Portugal The Man", "Black Keys", "Atlas Sound" and "Abigail Washburn" all had very good efforts. However, I really the like the new release by "Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds", a great sounding, well written album from top to bottom.

BTW, this is one of my favorite questions...I always find great, new music this way.