Album Of The Year 2011

Ok, 2011 is winding to a close, it's been a wonderful year for music. I have really enjoyed the best of 2011 music thread so I figured why not toss up a year end personal award thread.

It was a tough choice for me but after much deliberation my album of the year 2011 goes to (drum roll)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAMxAYkU7gQ

Laura Marling "A Creature I Don't Know"

For me, it's timeless music, beautifully written and played with heart and soul. I cannot think of any women aside from Joni Mitchell that moves me the way Lara Marling does. Such an amazing talent. The chick is heaven sent.

Runner up to The Mountain Goats "All Eternals Deck"

And you?
richard_stacy

Showing 8 responses by rok2id

The CD of the year is 'Marsalis and Clapton play the Blues'.

It is near perfect.
Just an observation:

It seems as if the 'best' recordings, are the ones that are reproduced to greatest effect on your stereo systems. Small groups, females with guitar. All very acoustic. Any truth to this?
Richard_stacy:

Thanks for your answer. I guess I was just sort of put out that I did not recognize one artist listed. Could I be that much out of touch? AND, no one mentioned Wynton or Beethoven. :)
Happy Listening. BTW, the girl with the guitar was great on video, I don't think I would like it as much on audio only.
Handel
Messiah
John Alldis Choir
LPO - Karl Richter

Not 2011, but great, and time is running out.
With musical taste like this, you could all have saved a lot of bucks, and gone with a BOSE table radio / CD player. Not trying to start a fight, just saying. What is it about this music that demands the high-end amps and speakers?
Bongofury:
I like to listen with headphones also. I have three very good pair. My question is: Do headphone amps really make a big difference? My amps and CDPs supposably have above average phone amps built in. Marantz PM 7200 and Marantz SA 8001.