What is your favorite guitar solo of all time?

It's a difficult question,maybe your top 2 or 3 that year after year blow you away and raise the hair on your head and move your soul inside.
playpen
There are so many from all the known guitar heroes - but I'll certainly give a honorable mention to Walter Rossi in general, a great Canadian guitar player with tone and feel that should have put him amongst the top of the 70s...listen to 'Silent I Wait' (from Diamonds for the kid), for example, for a show case in good taste...
I'll probably get flamed for this selection since this probably isn't considered audiophile type music but my favorite guitar solo is from the song Disposeable Heroes by Metallica off of the Master of Puppets album.

My all time favorite solo starts around the 4:27 mark after James Hetfield sings Hell is here!!!
Walter Rossi!
Great suggestion. Haven't listened to him in years
Has a unique guitar voice and deserves mention in this thread
Soundgasm,

The short solo in service to a great pop song is almost a separate subject unto itself. I'd also choose the Rundgren example you cite, and I'd add Dave Davies' (Kinks) solo from "I'm Not Like Everybody Else", Dave Edmunds'(Rockpile) solo on "So It Goes", and Terry Kath's (Chicago) solo on "25 or 6 to 4" to that list.

Marty

PS two more from my hero, Lindsey Buckingham:

"Go Your Own Way" from Live @ Bass Performance Hall
"(This is The) Time" from Out of the Cradle