A look into classical

I have very little in classical music. The local library has a lot of classical cd's available. Rather than taking the hit & miss approach are there some suggestions for me to get my feet wet? I do like what I have: Mozart "A Little Nightmusic"...1812 Overture...Nutcracker.

The Mozart disc really floats my boat of the 3.
muncybob
Another alternative is if you have a classical music station just listen, what catches your ear? Then go get a CD that has it and see what it is combined with and go from there. It is a bit of hit and miss but over time you will find what your attracted to and have built up a collection of things you like as well.
Pandora is a great site. You can listen to radio stations on the Internet such as the fine Dallas Classical station WRR. Also, you might want to try a few audiophile classics from Telarc or Columbia Masterworks. Gramophone and BBC Classical magazines do a tremendous job of sorting things out and publish recommendations each month and summaries of the very best each year. Wonderful things are happening around the world in this genre'. Good luck and enjoy!
Internet radio is a great place to go for variety and to get a feel for the different periods of classical music. Then just grow from there as you will find yourself gravitating to certains kinds of music.

As far as the best sites for a variety of classical radio stations I would suggest i-tunes or rhapsody.

This is one of my favorite stations http://www.radioswissclassic.ch/en.
Lots of classical variety on Internet Radio.

All you need for a great variety of Internet Radio with excellent sound is a Network Player like Roku Soundbridge (<$200) or Squeezebox, a high speed internet connection, and a system.
If you are so inclined to spend the money for a subscription, Grammaphone magazine is a great resource. Each issue has a cd of a collection of recently released pieces. If you aren't sure you want a year's subscription go to Barnes and Noble and get the recent issue to familiarize yourself with it.