'they blew'em off the stage'

what concerts have you attended, where the warm up act blew the headliners away.....my examples...brownville station upstaging zz top to the point where people where chanting 'brownsville station!' during the littl ol' band from texas' set.....another..t.rex upstaging lynyrd skynyrd(yes there really was such a show), and the grass roots upstaging cream.
jaybo
For me in 1995 Garbage was opening up for Smashing Pumpkins and to me they stole the show. Shirley Manson was unbelievable. I was hooked on them since then.

More recently it was during the Big 4 concert. Slayer tore down the whole place. By the time Metallica came on it was a let down.

Personally I think nowadays certain bands or their label purposely pick lackluster opening acts so the main act doesn't get shown up anymore. It is funny Guns N' Roses was mentioned previously in this thread. In recent years the acts that have opened up for the current incarnation of G n' R have really been kind of ehh to me. The only one I can remember was Bullet for My Valentine because they stunk so bad. All the other times we just came to the venue late because we new Axl and crew wouldn't take the stage until 11pm.
06-05-12: Hotmailjbc
84 in kansas city stevie ray vaughn opened for huey lewis and the news. after 15 minutes of huey wantin a new drug the place was empty......absurd combination for a concert.

06-06-12: Styxtrekr
Savoy Brown opening for Iron Butterfly, Iron Butterfly didnt stand a chance after Savoy Brown Boogie

I can see why in both cases !!!!
Best surprise I ever got was 1984 Roy Buchanan warmed up for Robin Trower at the old Capital Theater in Passaic New Jersey.

Insane how good Roy was! He truly blew Robin Trower away!
Philojet, sorry for the late reply, just saw this thread again after a long time. Again I wasn't there, but from what I understand the Monkees teeny bopper fans nearly booed Hendrix off the stage.
Audiofeil, couldn't agree more re: Mott The Hoople, even their best songs were penned by others.
In the late 80's/early 90's, Fishbone played with tons of bands and blew them ALL off the stage. Incredible musicianship and ridiculous energy.