VPI Classic 3 IDLE drive

Hi all,

I have as VPI Classic 3 I bought about 1 year ago and I was lately looking at the pictures on their website and notice that the classic now has an idle drive.
I also noticed that the platter has grooves where the belt goes, while mine doesn't.
I then called vpi and asked them if the idle drive was ready to be purchased for upgrade but They told me it wasn't.

Today while looking on you tube, I saw a video with a classic 3 with the same device I have seen on the website.

It is basically a larger pulley that touches the platter thus functioning like a rim drive however it still uses the belt along with it.

I was wondering if anybody here can help understand if this upgrade is finally available.

Thanks.
Stefano.
stefanoo
It's just the double speed pulley for use without and SDS if you don't have one. I bet its not touching the platter. Probably coming very close but not touching it, hence the belt.
When I looked at the VPI website, I had the same thought that Philb7777 had. I don't think it's really touching the platter.
here is the link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rHTgroMrj0

Also, look at VPI's website and check the pictures out.
The pulley is way bigger than what I have on my classic and it should be a representation of the IDLE drive.
Pulley is in contact with the platter that has grooves on the side, while mine doesn't.

When I called VPI they told me that the device shown there wasn't available at the moment, but then I came across this video by accident.

The Classic 3 can be used without SDS even with the small pulley(although I have speed regulator) and the pulley is designed just like in the Classic 1 to deliver proper 33 1/3 and 45 RPM.

One thing aside: I have changed oil a couple of days ago and I used super lube (same stuff used by VPI).
It runs much slower.
At first I noticed its speed was wobbling then followed the advice to boil the belt and wobbling was gone, but speed was still significantly low (measure with precision KAB strobe).
To give an idea, frequency on SDS had to increase from 60.04Hz to 62.08Hz.
With this setting I get proper speed regulation.

I have also noticed that when stylus rests on vinyl, belt is off and motor is on, I notice low frequency buzz on my speaker (phono has no subsonic filter no cuts whatsoever).

If I press on the top of the pulley buzz lowers significantly.
Mike told me that the shaft might be loosen and reccomended to take pulley off and under that there should be another screw that needs to be tightend and a drop of oil needs to be put in.
I tried to remove pulley by removing the 3 hex screws on the side and trying to pull, but it won't come off.
Any hint on that?