VPI Classic 3 IDLE drive

Hi all,

I have as VPI Classic 3 I bought about 1 year ago and I was lately looking at the pictures on their website and notice that the classic now has an idle drive.
I also noticed that the platter has grooves where the belt goes, while mine doesn't.
I then called vpi and asked them if the idle drive was ready to be purchased for upgrade but They told me it wasn't.

Today while looking on you tube, I saw a video with a classic 3 with the same device I have seen on the website.

It is basically a larger pulley that touches the platter thus functioning like a rim drive however it still uses the belt along with it.

I was wondering if anybody here can help understand if this upgrade is finally available.

Thanks.
Stefano.
stefanoo

Showing 2 responses by philb7777

Stefanoo, it's the standard pulley that VPI makes for use without the SDS. The small top is used for 33 RPM and the larger circumference is where you place the belt for 45 RPM. It's definitely not touching the platter and its nothing new. VPI has made them for several years.
It's just the double speed pulley for use without and SDS if you don't have one. I bet its not touching the platter. Probably coming very close but not touching it, hence the belt.