Need help with a Tube PREAMP.

I currently use a Solid State 2 channel AMP with an Input of 20k(unbal) 40k(bal). I am looking for a great Tube PreAmp for around $2500 that would mate well with the AMP. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
128x128mattmiller
I don't know if a SET preamp is going to mate with the solid state amp I have. Any other suggestions? Or has anyone used a combination of tube pre and SS amp?
Or has anyone used a combination of tube pre and SS amp?

a lot of members use this combination.
Given the input impedance of your amp, a tube pre with balanced output capability is probably your best bet. Definitely check out the Cary SLP-05 if in your price range.
07-31-13: Mattmiller
I want detail and attak!

If you want a tube preamp with detail and attack for around $2500, I would keep an eye out for an Audio Research LS-5 mk II, or a LS-25. Happy hunting.
A used McIntosh C220 might stretch your budget, but if you shop carefully, could be obtained. It has balanced and unbalanced outputs, and has no issues driving long RCA runs into my SS amp with 10K input impedance. Like all recent McIntosh preamps, it is designed to drive either tube or SS amps. My C-J PV11 that was replaced with the McIntosh, not so much.