450 Pound Monobloc Amplifier

The Boulder 3050 monobloc weighs 450 pounds, 1500 wpc.

A pair of monoblocs weighing right at a half-ton...amazing.

The Pass Labs XS 300 monobloc weighs 300 pounds, 300 wpc.

With all of the advances in amplifier design, does an amp really have to be that big to get the results they're after?

The 1500 wpc D-Sonic monobloc weigh 12 pounds...I love it!
128x128mitch4t
People believe that the main reason for switching power supplies is efficiency and size while they produce noise (tradeoff). In reality switching power supplies executed properly allow to reduce noise. For that reason Rowlands Capri preamp is powered by switching power supply (where efficiency is not important)

Yes, switching power supply is the same as class D. In fact class D was invented when engineers who designed highly responsive switching power supply showed responsiveness by making power supply to play music.
It's like buying a Mack truck to drive two blocks to the market. Silly, but sort of interesting.
@ minorl,Thanks about the compliment to Dan D Agistino momentum amps,I want them or the stereo version,wow!,you and mapman had a very interesting conversation here!awsome!,the both of you seem to know alot about amps!and yes my class A krell 700cx that is more power than 700 watts a channel with my 6oms speakers that dip to 4 oms alot,does not even fase the amp at all!LOL!A extra house heater forreal!LOL!,The heat that the amp generates does not bother me,since I live in the south,I am use to the heat here in alabama!cheers!
Mitch4T, the short answer is that M725 and M625 produce a not inconsiderable amount of heat.... Yes, I have M725 in my system, and M625 runs even a little hotter than M725. And yes, their interiors are relatively crowded, particularly M625 stereo... Just do not ask me what they look inside.... I am blind and do not enjoy rooting inside chassis and zapping myself by fondling undischarged capacitors.

While M725 contain some interesting technical solutions, like 4-pole capacitors for post rectification current smoothing, and ceramic boards, it will be fascinating to assess how these, and other relatively traditional designs, will stack up against the upcoming stream of new generation class D amps, regardless of weight, heat dissipation, inside crowdedness, or... cooling fins inventiveness.

After all, like Igor Stravinsky said.... We judge a tree by its fruits, not by its roots.
G.
That's great news! Now all that's missing is some ineffecient multi driver speakers with wicked phase angles to make things complete.