450 Pound Monobloc Amplifier

The Boulder 3050 monobloc weighs 450 pounds, 1500 wpc.

A pair of monoblocs weighing right at a half-ton...amazing.

The Pass Labs XS 300 monobloc weighs 300 pounds, 300 wpc.

With all of the advances in amplifier design, does an amp really have to be that big to get the results they're after?

The 1500 wpc D-Sonic monobloc weigh 12 pounds...I love it!
128x128mitch4t

Showing 9 responses by guidocorona

D-sonic and a few other manufacturers are an early adopters of new energy-efficient power conversion technologies recently developed by small Northern European companies such as Pascal, Abletech, and Hypex (Ncore). The new power conversion modules outwardly enable the implementation of physically small power amplifiers with very attractive price/performance ratios. It will be fascinating to observe if the new designs constitute a mere blip in the landscape, or if their underlying technologies are gradually adopted by a broader range of manufacturers with a variety of design/sonic philosophies and degrees of sophistication.

G.
Mapman, there is still less than a handful of manufacturers that are shipping amps built around the new class D technologies.... Merrill Audio, D-Sonics, Acoustic Imagery, and Mola-Mola. And reviews are still fewer than that.
Mitch4t, the 54Lbs per chassis amps from Rowland (M625 and M725) are running in class A/B rather than class D.

Mapman, there is starting to exist rumbllings that recent amp implementations based on new modules may constitute entirely different kettles of sonic fishes. Definitely, some formal comparative reviews of some such creatures would be welcome.
Hi Mitch4T, all current Rowland amps and pres are based on switch mode power supplies (SMPSs). However this does not mean that the amps are necessarily running in class D. For example, look at the specs for M625 stereo and M725 monos...

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/categories.php?categoryid=203

and

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/categories.php?categoryid=208

G.
Mitch4T, the short answer is that M725 and M625 produce a not inconsiderable amount of heat.... Yes, I have M725 in my system, and M625 runs even a little hotter than M725. And yes, their interiors are relatively crowded, particularly M625 stereo... Just do not ask me what they look inside.... I am blind and do not enjoy rooting inside chassis and zapping myself by fondling undischarged capacitors.

While M725 contain some interesting technical solutions, like 4-pole capacitors for post rectification current smoothing, and ceramic boards, it will be fascinating to assess how these, and other relatively traditional designs, will stack up against the upcoming stream of new generation class D amps, regardless of weight, heat dissipation, inside crowdedness, or... cooling fins inventiveness.

After all, like Igor Stravinsky said.... We judge a tree by its fruits, not by its roots.
G.
It is worth pointing out that not all class D amplifiers run necessarily as cool as cukes...
There is in my opinion the possibility that as design elaboration of amplifiers based on new generation class D technology increases, some future -- and totally hypothetical implementations -- from any number of manufacturers -- may potentially generate fair amounts of heat, and therefore benefit from hefty chassis, fins or other heat dissipation mechanisms.

Even in retrospective, we can find examples of heat generaating class D amplifiers. For example, the withdrawn Rowland Continuum 500 integrated, a 44 Lbs midrange class D design based on the ICEpower 1000ASP module, generates a considerable amount of heat, and runs quite toasty to the touch.... And no, the device has regretably no cooling fins.

In this particular case, I conjecture that two circuit elements in C500 may be major contributors to heat generation... a bunch of bulk output capacitors, and a 1500W PFC-based current rectifier.

As usual, only time will tell what the future brings... Oops, I suspect I just spewed out a repetitively redundant tautology... I meant... Oh well, never mind *sigh!*

G.
Hi Labyrinth, in your general price range, I warmly suggest you have a listen at the following three amps, all based on the Hypex Ncore NC1200 module:

Acoustic Imagery
ATSAH monos
Price $8999 per pair
Distributed in US by: Tweak Geek of Denver (CO), phone: 888-998-9335

Merrill Audio
Veritas monos
Price $12,000 per pair
Call Merrill at: (415) 562-4434

Mola-Mola monoblock amplifier
Price: TBD (probably quite a bit more expensive than Veritas and ATSA)
Distributed by: On A Higher Note, phone: 949 544 1990

Mola-Mola is being developed by a company by the same name, owned in part by Bruno Putseys, original creator of Ncore technology. Mr. Putseys is also the lead designer of the complete amplifier.

From a purely engineering point of view, I conjecture that Mola-Mola will be the most sophisticated implementation of the three, with ATSAH being the simplest. But do not be fooled by the word "simple"... all signs point to The Ncore NC1200 module by itself delivering a very high sonic musical standard as a starting point.

There are a couple of intriguing products soon coming from Rowland.... A bridgeable amp called M525 slated for April, based on a Pascal class D module. The device should cost approx $4500 for one unit and can be bridged to mono operations... If I remember its power ratings correctly: 250W / 8 Ohms, 500W / 4 Ohms, 1000W bridged to mono.

The same company will also release an integrated amp based on a different Pascal class D module, to be called Continuum S2, priced at $9500. Power rating: 400W/ 8 Ohms, 800W / 4 Ohms.

While I am usually fond of the Rowland sound, I freely admit that have never heard any amps based on Pascal class D modules, so I have no idea how these Rowland products will sound.

G.

G.