Reason for selling is...

I'm always amused that sellers bother to give reasons why they're selling their gear. Obviously in the vast majority of cases, they don't like it in their system. But only a very tiny minority will say that. People are (1) moving; (2) downsizing; (3) upgrading; (4) getting a divorce; (5) undergoing surgery.

Look, just assume buyers aren't stupid. We know why you're getting rid of stuff. If you haven't lied about the condition of your gear, do us the courtesy of letting us decide independently of your reasons for selling, which all seem to be designed to reassure us that your stuff isn't bad.
glaucon
I do it just to show someone that said I couldn't that I can. For instance my wife says I can't sell my dog. So right now I have a 2005 pure bred boxer for sale. It is a one owner and has all the upgrades you can possibly have. I have kept it in a smoke free, kid free home. Yea I don't sell that stuff, I give all the smoke and kids away for free. Also because I know you will say you can't sell that it is mine, I am the guy that lists an item that you might you have for sale on the 'gon here a few lines above yours at a slightly higher price. Even though you won't take low ball offers I will. I do it because I can.
*The seller has a significant information advantage over the buyer; just wait until cars from NY and NJ start showing up in used car lots. That being so, it seems to add insult to ignorance to give a reason for the sale, since buyers have no independent reason to believe it, and every reason to doubt it (i.e. the seller is trying to make a sale after all)*

There's a whole lot of truth in what you're saying, & why I think it's so useless to ask "why are you selling". Buyers IMO should be asking about the condition, history, any damage, etc. But it seems a lot of buyers think the way to ascertain all that is to ask "why are you selling".

I don't think I've ever asked that as a buyer, but for sellers who've been asked "why are you selling" dozens of times, it's just way easier to address that in the listing. So I don't see sellers as being in the wrong for listing that; I just think buyers who think asking that is the most crucial thing to ask are off-base......
I have never been asked why I was selling, and have never asked a seller. I have liked almost all the gear I sold, just like upgrading or changing.