The British Sound

Ok I know this sounds ridiculous but hear me out. The British sound is characterized as being laid back, mellow and unagressive in the treble. It struck me that England is a very humid environment. And in high humidity conditions, the treble is more pronounced and shrill. Musicians playing outside before a rainstorm call this condition the bloom before the thunderstorm. Ive read that this state can be explained by physics. The reason I thought of this again tonight is because right now the weather is extremely humid in central NC tonite. I listened to my stereo and I had to turn down the treble on my speaker controls. My AC has not run all day. I ask, is this why they tweak their designs. They are only trying to make musical equipment perspective of any environmental influences. Am I way out in left field? Then tell me why their products including speakers sound that way. Mike
128x128blueranger
The affect of humidity on sound waves is not appreciable. Who here actually uses a humidity meter? I have one hanging on the wall of my listening room and I check it periodically out of curiousity, but I am not convinced the sound is better with higher or lower humidity.
I agree, it is not humidity but pressure that can make a big difference. Equalizing your ears helps insure you are hearing sound as you should especially if you have sinus problems or flu/cold symptoms.
Sound travels about 4.3 times faster in water than air, so there might be something to the humidity, albeit, a little. Couple that with their smaller rooms and I can see why they prefer a more laid back, treble.
Or its just something in the water.
You guys have good ears!
I live in Oregon and I can't hear anything from Britain.
I wonder if audiophiles and politicians in Alaska can hear Russia?