Bel Canto Ref1000 MK2 Or Ref 500m ?

Dear All,
apart from the power (I don't needs 1000 watts into 4 Ohm),
which sounds better between these two?

Regards,
Giuseppe
granosalis
I really like the low end of the ref1000mkii's. When I first heard them, they sounded lean in comparison to my prior MF a3cr on the OHM Walshes. Once my ears adapted I determined that the low end was actually quite clean, tight and articulate. The term I have heard used that describes it is that they seem to take a vice like grip on the big OHM Walsh drivers, which is just what the doctor ordered! I can't imagine it being better. We'll see.....
I think that much of the fit as to what amp is right comes down to the match with the other components as well as the room. In my room, I started with the Bel Canto 300IU Integrated and had some bass issues at high volumes. I believe I was asking the amp to do to much with the speakers. I then went to the Bel Canto Ref500s stereo amp which had increased headroom and the bass issues did not occur. I now have the Bel Canto Monoblocks Ref 500 and that seems to be the best match. Plenty of power and headroom and very dynamic sound. They play with ease within my system. The other change I made was going to balanced interconnects. I changed from Cardas Golden Refence unbalanced to Cardas Golden Reference Balanced and in my system, it made a dramatic change. Much more fullness and slam to the sound. In addition, more bass and more extended lower bass. I got more db's and play the music at lower volumes. Everyones equipment is different and balanced is not necessarily better for everyone. It is component dependent and that is why the amp choice is not the same for everyone. What works best in one system and room is not the solution in another room with different mating components. Stephen
I agree... I think the Bel Canto's sound lean at first. However, it doesn't take long to realize how good the bass is once you have them in your system. It's a tight articulate bass that gets you involved with the body of the music. I am always changing gear and feel that Bel Canto just sounds right. The Ref 1000MkII's are the ultimate in the Bel Canto line. Recommend Bel Canto due to the size, power consumption, and flexibility.
Dears,
today there was the comparison between the Ref1000 MK2 and the Ref500M.
The source was the Bel Canto CD2+DAC3Vb, Modwright LS/PS 36.5 combo and Gemme audio Katana. All Cables was Oyaide Tunami.

Ref1000 was leaved always on, where the Ref500M had only 30 minutes of warm up. Despite of this, the ref 500M was better in every aspects. The 500M sounds sweeter on the voice, more detailed on the bass and far away more extended and refined on the highs.

Another test we made, clearly show how better was the RCA versus the Balanced interconnection. RCA sounds more transparent and with an improved controlled bass.

I will certainly go for the 500M!
Granosalis,

I read with interest your comments about how RCAS were better than the balanced cables. I had the complete opposite experience. I just changed to balanced cables and they were far superior in terms of bass and bass extension. In addition, the fullness of my sound was improved and i got an increase in db's also. It just goes to show you that these changes are system sensitive. I am using the Bel Canto Ref500 Monos with the Capri Pre amp and Ayon Cd player and have Tyler Acoustic speakers.