Dear All,
apart from the power (I don't needs 1000 watts into 4 Ohm),
which sounds better between these two?

Regards,
Giuseppe
granosalis

Showing 15 responses by granosalis

Hello Timrhu,
for what I have read from the specs, the ASX2 seams capable to produce only 2x250 watt on 4 Ohm, where the ASP500 reach 500watt.

Guido, keep us in touch, it will be very interesting to know some official position from Bel Canto.
Just a curiosity, Guido are you Italian?

Ciao
Giuseppe
Some update from my previous post.
I see an internal picture of the ref500M from an Italian magazine (Fedeltà Del Suono), and the internal ICE module look like this one: http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/i/solutions/asx_series1b_290109.jpg

I read specs more carefully and the power rating of this module is 550W, 4Ω
I think Timrhu was right.
Timrhu, if you send me the picture I can drop it on a server and post the link.
But only if this will not go against the forum policy.
my mail is my nick @me.com
Ciao Guido,
Thanks for the precious clarification. As described in the ICE Power web site, the ASX2 is the 3rd generation technology, so what you said about sound quality make sense.

from the Ice Power web site: "The advancements include extended bandwidth, improved dynamic range and exceptionally low distortion, achieved through our novel and proprietary HCOM amplifier topology."

I have in audition a couple of ref100 MK2, powered from 2 days, and I wander how much better it will sound the 500M.

Ciao e grazie.
Giuseppe
I have just received pictures from Timrhu

This is the module from PS Audio Trio A-100
http://homepage.mac.com/waveform/.Public/bc/A-100%20modules.JPG

This is the 300M
http://homepage.mac.com/waveform/.Public/bc/300M.JPG

An this is the Bel Canto 500S
http://homepage.mac.com/waveform/.Public/bc/Ref%20500S.JPG

I let Timrhu to comments if needed.
Sorry but I do not find a way to create the link, you needs to cut and past the url.

Warning, pictures are LARGE!
Ciao
Giuseppe
Dear All,
It is one week now that the two ref1000 MK2 are always on, on my system.
I made a small comparison between Bel Canto and my Modwright KWA 150. I do not do a real A/B comparison, because the Modwright is on service for repair. I find the ref1000 a very good amplifier, but the MW seams quite better on my system. More Dynamics, more details and a bigger soundstage are, in brief, the differences. Despite of 500 Watt Vs 150 Watt, the MW seems to have double the power of the Bel Canto. Bass on the Bel Canto seams no existent in comparison of the KWA 150. This is not so bad for my small room, because the reff1000 MK2 do not create any major resonance as the MW did.
Cia Guido,
yes you are right. The two brand new Ref1000 MK2 do not do many hours of sound. Just to precise, the bass of the Bel Canto are right, very balanced. Simply the MW seams more heavy on this region.
I wonder how much better it will be the reff 500m. I should have a pari for test, soon.
Sorry, I forgot to answer to your question.
I'm using only balanced interconnect from the CD2 to LS 36.5 (double box), and from the preamp to amp.
The Ref1000MK2 are breaking-in VERY well, and the performance increased from good to great! Now I'm very satisfied about the sound. Great transparency with dense tone ad details. I should do the comparison with the 500M this week end.
Dears,
today there was the comparison between the Ref1000 MK2 and the Ref500M.
The source was the Bel Canto CD2+DAC3Vb, Modwright LS/PS 36.5 combo and Gemme audio Katana. All Cables was Oyaide Tunami.

Ref1000 was leaved always on, where the Ref500M had only 30 minutes of warm up. Despite of this, the ref 500M was better in every aspects. The 500M sounds sweeter on the voice, more detailed on the bass and far away more extended and refined on the highs.

Another test we made, clearly show how better was the RCA versus the Balanced interconnection. RCA sounds more transparent and with an improved controlled bass.

I will certainly go for the 500M!
Pettyfeversk, I'm reading with interest your comments too.
I have also noticed the increase in DB, that for sure is due to the different voltage output. But on my system, the difference in transparency and bass control was immediate. During the test I have exchanged both CD to pre e pre to power amp at the same time. Both was the Tunami Oyaide Terzo XX that I have exchanged with a pair of Terzo RR (unbalanced version)
Do you made the test with the same cable brand/type?
>> Maybe your change was really a better fit with a better cable
>> in your system vs balanced or unbalanced?

Sorry but english isn't my mother language and I do not get the question.
Could you please rephrase?
Thanks for the clarification.
As I said, I have used the same cable, just changing from balanced to unbalanced type.
I think that differences between my results and yours can be re-conducted to the different equipments used during the test. The cable length can also be an explanation. My cables are one meter length.

Well, for me it's a good news, because RCA is cheaper and better.
A very uncommon happening for this hobby :-)
Another interesting test we made, was exchanging the digital interconnect between CD2 and DAC3Vb.

1) A cheeper optical cable
2) Bel Canto AES/EBU balanced digital coaxial interconnect
3) Oyaide DB-510 digital interconnect BNC (pure silver)

The optical one was the worst of the tree. The Balanced interconnect was good, but the silver BNC was great!

On this test cables are clearly different, so nothing in common with the previous discussion.
Again, this is just my test, and results may vary depending on the system.