Mcintosh or Classe

Is Mcintosh as good as Classe? I am considering replacing my old CA-300 for a mc 402 and don't want to be disappointed. I've considered getting another classe but they don't make a model that is 300w in my budget, the closest would be 200w. The Mcintosh is 400w.
fruff1976
I like both, I own a ca 200 and have for 15 years or so but I moved to Mcintosh 501's and never looked back. Much more refined sound particularly in bass definition and pitch. I think both have very nice midrange but again the Mac is a little clearer and refined.

Obviously, the 501's have much more power and this could account for a lot of the difference particularly since I am driving a tough load with Thiels.

As I said I like both but I really think Mcintosh has upped the ante with power amplifiers with the 501's, 1201's, and 402. I think they are superb especially for the money.
pops, i would agree with you that it is probably the power difference that you are hearing. i preferred the ca-200 over the mc 252 mcintosh amp but i also preferred the mc1000 over the 501's or the 602 with my totem mani's. the ma1000 sounded fantastic with my totem mani's. if i wanted to spend the money, the older classe omicron (i think it was the omicron) stereo amp is what i would own. that thing was huge (couple feet deep, 2-300 lbs) but it is the best sounding amp i have heard.
Yeah, the omicron was really nice, I heard it several times at a dealer. The only problem with large amps is MOVING them! The 501's aren't the biggest in the world but they weigh 100lbs each and are compact, nothing to grip. It's like moving a boulder and I'm too old for that s*&t, plus I'm in management...Good luck with your choice.
I am the happy owner of MC-501s, but I think you have to listen to them and vote with your ears. The points made about resale value are spot on. I could sell my McIntosh amps for more than I paid right now. There is much to like, but again, it is your money and your ears.

Good Luck!
Classe` is a more refined sound, but the McIntosh is "beefier" sounding yet tinny / brighter. This really can change with different speaker types and one might decide one or the other just on the pairing.

Each will sound completely different in your room and with type of speakers.

We do quite a bit of work with both of the manufacturers and they both build a solid piece, so I certainly agree with Rpcoins.

If you can get an audition or a great return policy with a dealer, I would certainly try before you buy.

Hope this helps!