This might just be the end of brick and mortar

stores. Music direct just announced there 60 day return policy.
taters
11-20-14: Ctsooner
On topic, I don't understand why some of you come across as hoping that B&M stores go away.

Why can't there be all options? In the end, that's the best thing for everyone.

11-20-14: Dill
Look at it this way, if all the B&M stores evaporate, you would be left only with two options to audition & buy new audio gear.

1) Buy the item from an online dealer and have it shipped to you.
2) Listen & buy the item from an audio show.

Both 1 & 2 will cost you money if you want to return it.
Only option 2 allows you to listen to it before you buy.

Most B&M stores in this country will let you listen for free, some will let you take the item home for audition for free.

Now, if you do not want the item option 1 & 2 will cost you money, while your local B&M store might not.

Bottom line, without B&M stores it will cost you to audition gear in your home system.
I don't wish for B&M demise but their business model cannot compete with more efficient models. It's a new economy and just taking advantage of all the positives. There are reasons malls are food courts, haven't use ATM to withdraw $$ for 10+ years, all bills are paid online ... World keeps on evolving and I'm trying to evolve and adapt to it.

I'm not the commander and chief and with a stroke of a pen, sign an executive order to save B&M. With the internet and technology, there are more efficient ways to sell products. Commander and chief is working on an internet sales tax. When gov picks the winners and losers, we ALL lose. I digress ...

With technology, home based businesses are popping up in my area. They drop components off my house to demo or demo in their homes. With lower overhead, I get a better deal so both parties win. One owner grossed $1,000,000+ last year working part time while keeping his full time job.
That's fine guys, however high end audio is still and will continue for the near future to be about emotion...The music and not the product of the month. That's the difference that some of you don't understand. I'll put my system up against any other system put together for what I paid for it all. most of the B&M guys are doing it for love still and there will always be some room for that. I've always taught my kids that it's only a good deal if you get something that you love for less....I'm happy for you KNG as well as the rest of you who only deal online. You can point out why YOU like online better than B&M and established brands, but that doesn't make you right or wrong, just like my opinion is just that....That said, I've lived long enough to hear the demise of so many things because of computers, then online etc...and for most things I'm still waiting.....
Why does everyone think that if you buy from a company that sells product's directly to consumers, avoiding the middleman/retail store, that you save money? Isn't it possible that they are charging the same price that a dealer would sell the same product for in their B&M store, and just keeping the extra profit for themselves?
Isn't it possible that they are charging the same price that a dealer would sell the same product for in their B&M store, and just keeping the extra profit for themselves?
I don't think that there is any question that B&M stores have the potential to add value. If the internet direct price is the same as it was w a B&M dealer, why would a manufacturer go internet direct? There would be no motivation for the manufacturer to continue that arrangement. I would very surprised to find that manufacturers do not deal with an on-line dealer the same way they would w B&M stores, setting minimum selling prices.
"I don't think that there is any question that B&M stores have the potential to add value. If the internet direct price is the same as it was w a B&M dealer, why would a manufacturer go internet direct?"

They would go direct to sell in areas where they don't have dealers. As far as pricing goes, the company’s that do sell both direct and through dealers, usually only sell at full list price. If they sell for less than list, they would be competing with their B&M dealers.