This might just be the end of brick and mortar

stores. Music direct just announced there 60 day return policy.
taters

Showing 8 responses by zd542

"Taters, how you get "no questions asked" out of the return policy's actual language is beyond me."

Some people hate B&M stores so much, they'll say anything.

Back to the OP. Has anyone ever done business with MD? If you haven't, you'll find that its a very high pressure type of environment and the people that work there don't know much about audio. They probably need to offer a better return policy just because of their own incompetence.
"11-16-14: Bifwynne
So how is it that companies like Audio Research, Wilson, Magico and the hundreds of other high-end manufacturers are able to push their product. Who are the first buyers of this class of gear? What are the supply and distribution chains?

I agree that B&M stores are falling by the weigh-side (sp?), so how are these companies getting their product to market ... and ultimately into the hands of retail customers."

They control their dealer network. If a dealer wants to sell the brands you list, they sign a contract that lays out everything they can and can't do. Most, if not all, of the companies similar to the ones you list, will not let anything other than a B&M store sell their product.
"11-16-14: Taters
Zd 542, I totally disagree with you. They have a guy that works there named Bess. He probably knows more about analog than any other dealer in the country. I would bet music direct sells more turntables than the top 5 audio dealers in the country. Besides Bess they do have some other knowledgable phone reps. If you want to deal with reps that have no knowledge call Audio Advisor."

With something like this, I've got no problem with being proven wrong. I haven't dealt with them in a few years, so maybe they fixed a few problems. Although, I don't know if I would agree that they know more than any other dealer in the country. I can name a few others that may be just as good. I also agree on Audio Advisor. They set the bar pretty low. Its hard to believe, but they used to be really good. It was a long time ago, but they used to have a great reputation.
"I don't think that there is any question that B&M stores have the potential to add value. If the internet direct price is the same as it was w a B&M dealer, why would a manufacturer go internet direct?"

They would go direct to sell in areas where they don't have dealers. As far as pricing goes, the company’s that do sell both direct and through dealers, usually only sell at full list price. If they sell for less than list, they would be competing with their B&M dealers.
Why does everyone think that if you buy from a company that sells product's directly to consumers, avoiding the middleman/retail store, that you save money? Isn't it possible that they are charging the same price that a dealer would sell the same product for in their B&M store, and just keeping the extra profit for themselves?
"11-23-14: Swampwalker
Zd- my point is that I have to assume that the motivation to go to a direct or internet sales model is to be able to lower the price to be able to be more competitive. If you did that and then allowed the internet dealer to set the price at or close to what a more traditional sales model would require, then you'd be shooting yourself in the foot."

That's not the case, though. For the most part, a company that has both type of retailers makes the internet seller charge the same price. They do it to just reach places that have no local dealers. Also, internet sellers are not supposed to sell in zip codes that are reserved for B&M stores. A good example is Music Direct because most people here know them. They sell brands like BAT and Rega. I know they're not supposed to sell them in areas that have local dealers. There may be exceptions, but this is generally how its done.
If you look at most of the big, well established brands in high end audio, they only sell through B&M stores. And they are very selective about who they let become dealers. I don't see any other way they can do business.
"11-23-14: Swampwalker
Zd- I think we are talking past each other. I was referring to distribution through internet sales instead of B&M, not both modes for the same lines, and thought that you were, too. I see that you were not."

Yes. I should have been more clear. I was referring to companies that really can't do business any other way than a B&M store.

"I would note, however, that in the case where internet sales reach a market where B&M is not available, then they would not compete w each other. So IF that were true, then MD's 60 day policy would not be the death of B&M. I know that's a big IF, but we are talking hypothetical."

I agree with that, as well. The only thing I would add is that when a company distributes both ways, they usually force the internet type company to sell at list price. Otherwise, it will be direct competition.