What a Songstress Julie London

I'd heard "Cry Me A River" when I was much younger and never fully appreciated it. I suppose the "torch" style of song was over my head at the time. I was driving one day last year and "Cry Me A River" came on the radio, and I immediately said, "who is this?" I'm always listening for the the sound of a beautiful female voice. I said to myself that here was a special and exceptional song stylist, and made a note to check out more of Julie London's music. As I got into listening to her discography, I realized that she was simply, simply great! Very Special! For me, she has become the definitive torch singer and sings the torch song like no other. I know that's only my opinion! I even feel now that her talent is under-appreciated for just how great it was. Her tone, inflection, phrasing, emotion, sensuousness, all I can say is Wow! If you're not fully aware of her greatness, please do yourself a favor and listen, or listen again. Song, after song, after song... Many, many, great ones to enjoy, many of them Standards.
foster_9
Mark, it's been a while since I've seen one of your posts here. Good to hear from you! Glad to know you also enjoy her music.
John Marks of Stereophile has turned me on to several wonderful albums over the years, not least of which is Time for Love - the Best of Julie London.
The greatest american female ballad singer.
She could go upbeat just as well, but her producers seldom let her.
She's still a magnet after whole buncha years past stronger than most before or after her life/stage career.
Foster 9,
I only know a little of her music. Thanks for the heads-up...I'm going to buy some.