Beatles Tribute Tv special....

Some nice surprises...first, Maroon 5 was very impressive with their early Beatles tunes....Joe Walsh sounded awesome...wasn't a huge fan of David Grohls song choice...and the show seemed to dip in the middle...Annie Lennex came off a bit creepy in that bizarre dress...but Sir paul rocked it...and RIngo is always cool...all in all..not bad....hey, at least Bono wasn't involved...does he have to ruin everything?
128x128phasecorrect
Thought on balance it was very good---Stevie, Eurythmics, the whole group on Something, Paul and Ringo were highlights---and yes I liked Imagine Dragons as well.
Let's remember, we're chasing the greatest band of all time with the best voices and arrangements. The artists, under the circumstances acquitted themselves surprisingly well.
For me it just smacked too much of "something for everyone."
The Beatles already have a young audience--they don't need their music "modernized" by the young artists-of-the-moment.
I think more of their contemporaries and fewer of the younger set would have been in order. But again, my hat is off to young Ed Sheeran who I thought did a fine job.

Bottom line is: network productions such as this or the grammies are usually going to be riddled with "are you kidding me--whose idea was this" kind of moments and this special was no exception.
"The Beatles already have a young audience--they don't need their music "modernized" by the young artists-of-the-moment."

I don't see anything wrong with that. It shows that young people care enough to try it their way. Just replaying the same old same old can only go so far. I was glad to see both in this show and thought everyone did a good job, though of course I liked some better than others.
I was blown away by Ed Sheeran's version of "In My Life." Just astonishing. It's on Vimeo I believe.

John Legend and Alicia Keys were tremendous too, I thought.
OMG, I thought the John Legend/Alicia Keys performance was one of the best live performances I've ever heard! I also am impressed with how good McCartney still really is. Yes, his voice can get a bit warbly at times, but he's right on the notes.