R.I.P. Lou Reed

Just saw that Lou passed today from complications of a liver transplant. I really liked most of his music with "Sally Can't Dance", "Berlin", and "R & R Animal" being my favorites. Saw him at the Felt Forum way back when. He will be missed.
geodos
brian eno famously said that the velvet underground only sold 30,000 of their first record, but everyone who bought one started a band. works well as a eulogy. as noted above, his solo work is uneven--he made too many records--but still full of classics. perfect day, legendary hearts, kill your sons et. al. are as among the best songs ever written.
Lou Reed had that "intangible" quality to his performances that only the best artists have. He ranged from silly to shocking and everything in between, but he always makes me want to hear what words will come out of his mouth.
Lou was dining in a Northern Californian Pub with David Grisman and I was astonished to be waiting on them.

I left them alone and did not even act like I was star struck at all. I was however humming "Foggy Notion" to my self all throughout the evening. Any way a few minutes after serving him his salad he called me over. "What type of dressing does this salad have on it" sweet Lou asked. I said "red wine vinigrette". Lou flipped and said in a very pronounced manner, "I do not eat anything with alcohol in it" and promptly sent it back in a rage. Grisman was very embarrassed, I was confused.....but I still love Lou... RIP
Restaurants should not serve certain foods "unannounced" and alcohol may be at the top of the list.
Red wine vinegar is produced by the metabolization of alcohol to vinegar. There may be trace amounts of residual alcohol remaining (also true of many other products), but to suggest that a restaurant needs to announce that as alcoholic is a bit of a stretch. Do retaurants need to describe the vanilla ice cream as alcoholic if it includes vanilla extract? Give the place a break.

I'm hoping that Lou Reed misunderstood what the product is. (Maybe his server should have explained! ;-). He had a serious liver condition and a history of substance abuse, so I understand the sensitivity to consuming alcohol, but - even tho I'm not an MD - I'm guessing that the salad dressing wasn't going to be an issue for him.