Norah Jones

I'm watching a live show on PBS right now and I have to ask myself, how does this girl write so much amazing music? I watched one of her live shows last year and was absolutely floored by her performance but most of all the sheer beauty of her music. Any fans out there? She truly flies under the radar considering her high level of talent as a songwriter and musician.
donjr
I'm a fan too! Great music and collaborations - how about the one with Keith!
"She hardly wrote any of the music she sang to get famous. Mostly all covers. When she started insisting on performing the stuff she wrote, her career sank fast. I happen to like her first two records, but I can't stand her writing. "

Well there's a first. Could you imagine if anyone ever became famous off a Bob Dylan song? I'm calling Carole King tonight. She might be able to revive her career if she would play someone else's music. Then I'm calling Herbie Hancock. He should do some standards.

Yes, I think she's flown under the radar since 2002. Actually, I haven't heard one peep from anyone about her and she gets zero radio play with the exception of that 2002 release. She's won plenty of awards. The releases since then have been much beer IMO.
Tom6897
I would love to hear her play saxophone! She wouldn't be able to sing with her mouth full.
Seriously, listen to her. It's a lot of feeble cooing and whispering. It may be sexy, but a great singing or writing talent she isn't.
She hardly wrote any of the music she sang to get famous. Mostly all covers.
Taking a close look at her first 2 albums, this statement seems to be more incorrect than correct.

Debut album,
She wrote 2; both released as singles, 1 being the title cut, and co-wrote a 3rd. 3 were covers with 1 released as a single. The remaining 8 were written by band members with 2 released as singles.

2nd album,
She wrote 1, released as a single, and co-wrote 5 with 1 released as a single. 3 were covers. The remaining 4 were written by band members with 1 released as a single.