So sub or not to sub

A simple question:

Is adding a sub to an already-good two -channel system a sellout of sorts? My de Capo monitors are wonderfully kaleidoscopic, yet when I throw my ancient Velodyne CH-8 into the mix, I DO get that lower presence that the monitors just can't deliver.

I feel like I'm cheating, though. Like getting a truck with an automatic transition.

Thoughts on adding a sub?

s
128x128simao
I am a big fan of sub in two channel systems but you have to run a true highpass crossover. It can not be done well with out it.
James633, what kind of high-pass crossover do you use, and how is your system set up for this? I have been pondering this route for a while.

Wolf, there's nothing more practical than a good theory. I went over it briefly, tried it out, measured, listened, and confirmed it worked for me. If complex theories make someone frieghtened, it's ok to stay away and pretend they aren't going to work anyway.
I don't suffer baloney well after decades as a professional in the music business, and that includes nonesense such as woofer "speed" in reproduction of low frequencies, many (not all) theoretical or supposed scientific explanations of why something sounds good, or blind acceptance of what anybody else thinks is the "correct" or "corrected" sound of music. And, I can spell "frightened." Note that Bo1972 has said that he uses stereo subs at high crossover frequencies which are then squashed by digital compression and limiting to make them listenable...now THATS music!
I used the measurements and advice in the HK Whitepapers that Reynolds posted and placed my sub in the corner behind me, facing the monitors. Changed the music incredibly for the better. I set the low-pass crossover at around 60Hz and had to dial back the volume on the sub. But it sounds good.

My "listening room" (i.e. finished basement) is something like 10' by 14' with 7' ceilings, so I don't know how many nodes and standing waves and such there are, but I've been working on amateur room treatments - art canvases; strategically-placed potted plants; a lack of sharp corners - to try and get as much sound as I can.