Speaker placement

I've read a lot regarding speaker placement but I do have a question. If someone states place the speakers 3ft from the wall where do you measure it? From the rear of the cabinet or the from the driver position?

Thanks
xti16
Thanks They are also very different considering I had Dyn C1 and C1 Sig's (which are fantastic speakers) for almost 5 yrs. The D1's do things like have a blacker background which is something I thought was more of a ac power - amp - power cord thing. I also hear things I never heard before - very detailed with fantastic imaging and sound stage. They don't go as low as the Dyns but do everything else better IMO. Still trying to dial in the sub.
Thanks again
I have a feeling most folks probably assume that the distance between speakers should be around 6-8 feet and never get around to experimenting with shorter distances. In fact, however, the correct distance for most speakers in most rooms is more like 4 to 6 feet. IIRC the issue of the distance between speakers is discussed on the XLO test CD.
Geoffkait, How do you come up with what the 'correcty distance' might/should be without reference to room dimensions and the distance of the listening position from the plane of the speakers?

Personally I think many folks don't properly give the set up position of the listening chair credit for its substantial contribution to the sound you hear, both soundstaging effects and effecting a linear frequency response by minimizing the effects of room and set up induced nulls and nodes.
Right, Newbee... it's about room dimensions and listener's position.

Xti16; speaker placement with regard to side walls is very important.
A guide to speaker placement in different room scenarios...
http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_main.php