What preamp between Burmester and Krell?

I am considering preamp upgrade. It will be obviouslu an used device. Choosing between Krel KBL line stage (former Stereophile Class D in the 90's), Burmester 846 (line stage) and Burmester 785. I am not very familiar with the German preamps, so I want your advice. The rest of the set up is Von Schweikert VR 6 speakers, Esoteric DV 60,s CD player, Audio Note p Zero monos power amplifiers and a phono as analog front.
Please, help!
N. Milkov
nikmilkov
I would look into the simaudio evolution moon 740p line stage, or if the budget allows, the 850p line stage, LOL!, then look into the Atmasphere line stages, the Steve MCcormick speciality brand of the Vre-1c pre-amp, you will do your self a favor at doing so, I understand these are some of the top performers these days.
Just to make it clear. I don't intend to replace the Audio Note poweramps with Burmester. The idea is eventualy to use them both (all the 4 monos) in a biamping configuration. Audio Note for M?H and Burmester for more attack in the lows. That is why I am wondering what preamp will fit the best in such a configuration.
I don't intend to replace the Audio Note poweramps with Burmester. The idea is eventualy to use them both (all the 4 monos) in a biamping configuration.
Nik, your post dated 1-24-14 in the other thread I linked to above appeared to indicate otherwise.

As far as I can tell all of the currently produced Burmester amps have VASTLY greater power capability (and undoubtedly very different gains) than the Audio Note amps, especially when used as monoblocks. See my post in the other thread for the issues that would be presented by using both of those amps in a biamp configuration. Even if you somehow gain match the amps, most of the power capability of the Burmester amps would be unuseable and wasted. In effect you would be converting the high powered Burmester monoblocks into low powered amps.

With all due respect, as I see it biamping an 8 watt tube amp with a very high powered solid state amp (in conjunction with a pair of integrated speakers that are designed to work in a reasonable manner when driven by a single amplifier, as opposed to an assembly of separate speaker components for each of the frequency ranges) makes no sense. And that is all aside from and in addition to the possibility of compromised sonics resulting from driving the speakers with different sounding amps.

Regards,
-- Al
Nik,
I sincerely wish you a successful outcome but I'd pay much attention to Al's always astute advice and contributions. Give yor plan some serious thought.
Charles,
I would second the advice given by Al, both in this thread and the other. Passive bi-amping is not easy to do well, and why spend all that money to use a fraction of the power in the Burmester. You might consider using the money aimed at the Burmesters to try a different amplifier with more power to run your speakers full-range (or maybe the Burmesters by themselves). If you're really convinced to try biamping, you should try to find a preamp with two pairs of outputs (I don't know if the Krell or Burmester units have that capability, but many preamps, including the Lamm LL2, do).