Von Schweikert VR-4,Jr.

Was anyone else as impressed by these speakers at HE 2004 as I was? I thought their performance was stupendous, and can only wonder what the bigger models sound like.
gladstone
Of all the rooms at HE2004, I thought the VR/VAC demo was the most contrived.

In some areas, it sounded good, but the very short blasts of having you hear exactly what they wanted you to hear made me wonder what the speakers really sounded like. It seemed to me as if they were trying to take advantage of the audience.
"It seemed to me as if they were trying to take advantage of the audience."

What? I am shocked, shocked!

Kal (who agrees to the extent that they chose favorable recordings for the system and room which, of course, does not distinguish their efforts from those of others)
I am using the Spectron Musician II to power the speakers with very good results.
Now, Kal--admittedly they did allow open requests from 4-6 each day. Would be great if you could chime in here, if you were able to do so.

I was stuck in video heaven, and never made it back upstairs!
Of course, I was able to play some of my own selections and that's how I realized that there were tricky room modes at work. On some cuts, they reinforced the bass to a wondrously impressive degree but, on a few, it was overblown and indistinct.

That said, I do not hold that against the speakers (which I did like) but offer it as an observation that there is more going in most demos than the performance of the components.