Are some of us losing our minds over upgrades??

I happened to run across a thread from 2011 regarding upgrading CD players; in particular, a Sony XA5400ES which was in the A- column of Stereophile for a few years. Some member had this model Sony player upgraded by Modwright( not sure if related to the amp and pre-amp company). The upgrade cost $2000, and the AG member claimed it was NOW the best sounding player on the planet.

OK, let me cut to the chase, I have seen adds for used Sony XA5400ES on AG between $1000 to $1200. Original retail was $1499 Call me crazy or a cheapskate, but lets say for argument sake you bought this player for $1100, and had it upgraded by Modwright, you have invested $3100 plus shipping in a CD player that may not necessarily be superior to the Ayre CX7emp which was the player that was being compared to both the pre-upgraded Sony, and of course the post-upgraded Sony. Nevertheless, I don't understand the logic behind such a move. I would like to hear from members that may own an upgraded XA5400ES, or anyone else who wants to provide insight into the upgrade craze. Thanks, Jim
sunnyjim
while mid-fi gear has its limits, i've not encountered mid-fi gear that couldn't be improved on immensely with mods (esp digital and preamps). speakers are tough to mod due to the overwhelming influence of the cabinet (how do you mod that?!?), and amps are influenced greatly by iron (hard to fit bigger trannys in a given chassis). but digital and preamps can get much better, and much better than high end gear at times (i've heard a modded esoteric DV50 kill an XO1-D2, and i wouldn't trade my modwright 5400 for the older P03/D03 setup straight up---however the K series is a different matter). preamps can get much better, but if its a volume pot, you'll never achieve the heights of uber gear which eschews them for ladder/single resistor-type volume controls.
its tough to get your money back out of mods though, no argument there. reminds me of everything else i've spent money on though. best bet: use a modder who's got a reputation and viable business (modwright, exemplar come to mind).
Another interesting point that I had not considered, but learned speaking to a well known modder, is that they have access to parts not made in large enough quantities to be used by most companies. My only experience with modded gear ia a friend's GNSC modded ARC preamp that sounds incredible.
Chayro,
It depends on what is being modified and who's doing the work, so there's a pretty wide spectrum of results. I can tell you a good friend of mine had the Playback Designs MPS-5 and the Mod Wright OPPO 105. He kept the Mod Wright and he sold the Playback Designs (it sold quickly). A number of more expensive components don't necessarily use high level parts.
With a talented and experienced modder they can select parts that can result in substantial improvement. Many variables involved. Mod Wright doesn't just tact on a few parts and call it a day. There's significant analog output and power supply improvement.
Regards,
A friend of mine had the Modwright Sony 9100 (as I recall) with the outboard power supply and all. I thought it was very good, but we both preferred his Mac transport into the Audio Logic dac in terms of body and harmonic completeness. Of course, it's all a matter of taste and perhaps the modded Oppo is better than the old Sony was.
Chayro, I had the Playback Designs CD player that retails for 17,000.00. Yes my Modright Oppo 105 is better in every parameter. I sold the Playback.