CD Changer?

I currently have the SONY CDP-CX90es 200 disc changer. This player sounds great with the rest of my very mediocre stuff. However, I've recently made a major upgrade to my whole system, by buying a whole bunch of stuff from Odyssey Audio - a new pre-amp (Tempest), two mono amps (Stratos) and a new pair of floorstanding speakers (Lorelei). I probably won't receive much of this until mid July.

My question is this - will I be able to get by with my CX90ES, or will it severely handicap my system? I have gotten spoiled by the changer, and don't really want to go back to a single disc player, but I will if I have to. I am very unsatisfied with the system I have now (Yamaha RX-V995 receiver and Polk Audio RM7200 surround) for audio, which is why I am doing this upgrade, and I don't want to be disappointed because of my CD player.

Does anyone have any impressions of my CD player? I don't have much comparison experience in this space so any information will help. If you think I am kidding myself by trying to keep this, are there any other CD changers that you think are good, or should I just stick to the single play ones?

Thanks for any advice you can lend me.
petequad
Absolutely go for an outboard DAC. There are lots of good deals on this site such as Bel Canto, Perpeptual Tech (with ModWright mods), Musical Fidelity, etc. I've heard good DACs matched with changers sound superb. Marantz makes a good changer in its SE series. But a DAC is a necessity.
Please excuse my ignorance - Is this DAC something that plugs in between my premap and the Changer? How much do they go for?
Pete,
your changer does 2 things:
1 - spins and reads the disks.
2 - take this info (which is digital) and translate it to analog which is then output through the RCA outs to your pre.

So yes, it sits between the player and the pre.

They can run (like everything in audio) from a few hundred to umpteen thousand.

Keep in mind the mega-changer use optical for its digital output so you'll either need to get a DAC that support this or use something like a Monarchy DIP which will convert it to coax. These will run from 100 to 200 used depending on the model.

The DIP will also reduce the jitter on the mega-changer. My experience has been that this works well wit these players. A note on DIP's, for CD playback you only need the 16bit/44kHz model not the newer and more expensive 24/96 although both will work.

OK, so now I will echo what others have mentioned: relax, enjoy your new gear for a while. When we are first bitten with the bug for this hobby, well, we kinda get to kids at the bakery. All those sweets, and you wanna eat 'em all. I don't know if this can be avoided. But try. Like Marakanetz said, "don't hype yourself."

Enjoy what you have. Listen to the music, not the sound.

KP
Killerpiglet has made the most meaningful comment yet..."Listen to the music, not the sound." The only criterium you need for a stereo is how much it makes you want to listen to music. Oh yeah, another one - how much more time and money do you now spend on music and searching it out? Oh yeah, another one - how much more time you spend reading music reviews instead of equipment. O.K., that's three. Oh, and one more - how often do you sit in front of your hi-fi, smile, and say out loud "Damn, that Art Blakey can play some mean drums!"

I was recently told by a high end manufacturer that I have "two nice pcs" in my system and this is a "good start". And yet, last night my wife had to drag me to bed because I could not stop kickin' out the jams (remastered editions of Cream albums for God's sake!). I literally walk by the listening room sometimes and just fondly gaze inside anxious for another listening session. My speakers were not approved by this manufacturer and yet I love to watch reflected sunlight dance on the rosewood cabinets. I have actually walked by and patted them affectionately. This is a real good indication this system gives me serious musical pleasure. (O.K., that's five criteria.)

By the way, I use a 300B SET amp and have used tubes for over 20 yrs. I also use a passive "pre-amp" and my system thrills me. My brother commented a few months ago that he could never have a stereo like mine - he'd never get anything done except music listening, and they could not play it when people visit. No one would want to talk, just enjoy the tunes. But then, that's my passion in this hobby. There are people whose passion is the equipment and technology. And God bless them because they come up with the stuff I buy. The speaker manufacturer, by all accounts and reviews, makes an excellent music lovers line of products.
I would definitely get a DAC for the changer. You will be startled by the improvement. I run a Sony 400 CD changer into a Birdland Odeon-Ag and it's fantastic.