Best Dac you ever heard

Whats the best Dac people ever heard.
doug99
Craigs right on the money with the 360. That's one of the top three cd playback systems I've heard. Unbelievably quiet yet warm sounding.

Other two are the DCS Delius w/192 upsampler, and the Dan wright modified, tube output, Sony XA 777. The Delius literally added more 'information' to the picture whereas the Dan Wright XA 777 is simply wonderful to listen to. It has a warm, alive sound that you only get from a tube output stage. Someday !
Hi,

I only want to refer to dac's auditioned at home:

1) The Best:

dCS Purcell & Elgar Plus in dsd-mode via firewire

But IMHO the Elgar has one weak point, the dig. volume control - is bettered by my Pass preamp by far - and the analog output stage. Only use the XLR outputs!!!

2)

Theta DS-Pro Gen. Va-96 & dCS Purcell or Perp. Techn. PA-1

Is my beloved favourite - highly musical. I am very curious about the new Ge.VIII and upsampling to 192?!

3)

Audio Aero Prima dac with its own Anagram 24/192 resampling ( = dac section in Capitole )

Close behind the upsampled Theta, only a very little lesser contour in bass response and some softness in the highs. Maybe the Audiomeca Enkianthus betters this for me.

Digital cables used for comparison were Siltech HF-9G3 S.E. and Golden Ridge G5. All units were connected with identical power cords - Syn. Research.

4)

most wanted unit for an audition:

TacT Audio S2150 and Millenium MkIII with new integrated upsampling to 24/192.

Walter
I'll second tim's recommendation on the EVS Millenium II dac
upsamples to 24/192
musicality
tube like in it's sound and seperates instruments out (think layers and textures) like nobody's business

I am rediscovering my whole cd collection
even the old previously flat sounding stuff

talk ric into making you one before it's too late

tweakaudio.com

tom
This post is more an observation than offering a best DAC.
Tom all I'll say to that is in the world of digital, its usually too soon and never too late. That is as soon as you purchase one DAC, better parts and technology comes out with something greater and sometimes even cheaper rendering your choice obsolete. It can keep the poor old Emperor naked indeed :).

I haven't compared too many so I really don't have the frame of reference to say what is best in my system which includes Berning ZH270 OTL, CAT SL-1 pre and Merlin VSM-M speakers and my true reference, an Oracle, SME and Benz.

I really like the Bel Canto 1.1 DAC as it is very smooth and musical. I've had it over a year. To my ears it resolves the nuance of music quite well and it doesn't have any edge which is a big plus. I'm sure there are others I may like more but there are too many revolving doors in the ever changing world of digital technology.

I purchased an ART di/o. It may not "smoke" the super DACs stock as some have claimed but at its 131.00 price point from Full Compass it isn't bad, not nearly as good as the Bel-Canto. For the cost of mods it is indeed worth exploring further which I intend to do. Brian Cheney used this modded DAC to win best sound at the last CES.
I 'third' the EVS Millennium DAC I (or II). I currently have the one, and it easily smokes the Adcom GDA-600 I had before. I also auditioned the MSB Link III at home. If you don't mind owning a small production, hand-built, super-tweaked piece of audio equipment, buy a used one and audition it in your system.

My first impressions about the DAC I are. Clear and palpable bass. String bass, bass guitar, bass drum, timpani, baritone sax, etc. And the textures, ooh. If this is highend digital, give me seconds!

I just got my DAC I for only $330/shipped. Best dollar spent this year. (Beats my VansEvers PLC, which was an improvement, but nothing like the EVS). I don't know if I could bear listening to the DAC II considering as good as the DAC I is. Anyone have a DAC II in a modest system? In the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder if I should 'upgrade. to the II.