Best Dac you ever heard

Whats the best Dac people ever heard.
doug99
The Levinson M360S DAC with M37 transport are fantastic in my system-- no interest in SACD or DVD-A here.

For Rayhall;>) ......SF Line 2 tube pre-amp, McCormack DNA2 Rev. A amp, and Vand. 5 speakers. The 360S is neutral, dynamic, great PRT, non-fatiguing, not "bloomy". It gives music "weight" and has timbral richness in both vocals and instruments.. I love to listen for/to vocal timbre. I like electric blues, rock, new age, pop, c/w, bluegrass-- almost anything but opera and weird jazz. Cheers. Craig.
Thank you, Craig. It is so much better when posters truly try to convey information rather than just throwing names out in cyberspace. I appreciate the extra time it takes for you to be specific. Thanks also to Aaronm for his extra effort to include some description and context to his findings.
Craigs right on the money with the 360. That's one of the top three cd playback systems I've heard. Unbelievably quiet yet warm sounding.

Other two are the DCS Delius w/192 upsampler, and the Dan wright modified, tube output, Sony XA 777. The Delius literally added more 'information' to the picture whereas the Dan Wright XA 777 is simply wonderful to listen to. It has a warm, alive sound that you only get from a tube output stage. Someday !
Hi,

I only want to refer to dac's auditioned at home:

1) The Best:

dCS Purcell & Elgar Plus in dsd-mode via firewire

But IMHO the Elgar has one weak point, the dig. volume control - is bettered by my Pass preamp by far - and the analog output stage. Only use the XLR outputs!!!

2)

Theta DS-Pro Gen. Va-96 & dCS Purcell or Perp. Techn. PA-1

Is my beloved favourite - highly musical. I am very curious about the new Ge.VIII and upsampling to 192?!

3)

Audio Aero Prima dac with its own Anagram 24/192 resampling ( = dac section in Capitole )

Close behind the upsampled Theta, only a very little lesser contour in bass response and some softness in the highs. Maybe the Audiomeca Enkianthus betters this for me.

Digital cables used for comparison were Siltech HF-9G3 S.E. and Golden Ridge G5. All units were connected with identical power cords - Syn. Research.

4)

most wanted unit for an audition:

TacT Audio S2150 and Millenium MkIII with new integrated upsampling to 24/192.

Walter
I'll second tim's recommendation on the EVS Millenium II dac
upsamples to 24/192
musicality
tube like in it's sound and seperates instruments out (think layers and textures) like nobody's business

I am rediscovering my whole cd collection
even the old previously flat sounding stuff

talk ric into making you one before it's too late

tweakaudio.com

tom