Is the Ortofon Kontrapunkt A compatible with MMF-7

The tonearm is a Project Nine.
I had an inexpensive Ortofon on a Technics back in the early eighties and was quite impressed with it. I'm getting an itch to try the Kontrapunkt on the 7 but am unsure of its compatibility. Thanks
128x128artemus_5
Bombaywally's info is good, and things are more complicated than that, Artemus 5, as there are synergy issues with preamps, amps and speakers as well. To do the calculations yourself, there's a really easy website which puts it for you on a graph, so all you have to do is add the weight of the cartridge to the tonearm, check againt the compliance, and follow the zone colours: if you're in the green, then you're OK! The website is at http://www.vandenhul.com/artpap/phono_faq.htm. Go to the very bottom of the page, you can't miss it. If you have an itch, and science says it's OK, then I say go for it! Of course, if someone out there has actually tried it, then as Bombaywalla says, that's a good thing. I'm an impulse creature.
>>However I also understand the idea that most people would probably not put a $600 cartridge on a $1000 TT.<<

You already know the truth, your MMF-7 is a very basic turntable that anything above a $90 mm cartridge is a waste of money. Unfortunately you have neither the arm nor the table to truly benefit from a high end cartridge.
Dkarmeli, how can you say that? The MMF7 stock comes with a Goldring Eroica, a $400 cartridge. Don't diss the table. It's a fine unit, hardly a basic TT. Not the best of the best, certainly, but pretty good.
Eh, I'm not too sure about this. I used to have the mmf7. Just sold it last month. knowing what I know now, there is no way I would invest in a $600 cartridge for the mmf7. No way.
That said. If you have $600 you are willing to invest. I would sell the mmf7 and add you $600 to your funds to buy a better TT. I sold mine, and added $450 to step up. I would never look back. Has to be one of the best things I did.