Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear
For every grey haired old audiophile there are 100 kids listening to music on computers. And which one do we think is headed for extinction?
Audiolabyrinth "The most exspensive USB cables made are very inexspensive and the performance is about the same as the vincent RCA interconnect, there is some USB cables that are $300.00 under $1,000.00 period, ask your self why is that?, lets see here, USB is NOT for audio, it is for data...."

Well you answered your own question. One cable carries analog and the other data (or 1's and 0's anyway). An analog cable is way more specialized due to the fact that it is carrying the analog waveform. The USB cable just dumps the data and the equipment interface does the rest. It doesn't have to be "designed for audio". You are comparing apples to, well,not even another fruit.
.....not to say the USB cable doesn't have to be designed well, but it just has to get the data from A to B with no errors. But it's a no-brainer why it can cost so much less.
I know LessLoss is late getting their product out for us to see and hear what the promise is but there is another reader/streamer out there and I'd like to know if anyone has heard it yet or can enlighten us on what they claim. The company is EC Designs and here's their link:

http://www.ecdesigns.nl/?p=87&lang=en

Their pricing is relatively affordable ($2300) and they have software for album art, playlist and remote operation with an iPhone or other similar device.

Thanks in advance, and as always, all the best,
Nonoise