Multiple Copies Of LP s Same Title

A short note to see how perverse my record collecting is.

I have the worst habit of buying multiple copies of the same title especially if they are rare, and or sought after.

I feel that they are not going to get any cheaper, and there will be a day when we never see some of them again. If a rare LP is presented to me from my UK Sellers, and or found in the Shop's I just have to buy it (Regardless of how many copies I have).

I thought of this last night as I was play grading my third Atlantic Plum Label Yes - Fragile copy.

Just wondering if there are others like me out there.

Thanks,

David
djohn
There is a sticker on Bernie Grundman's mastering deck (I am not kidding here, it really exists) that says: "Use a transistor--go to jail. It's the law." It is meant in jest. Otherwise Classic Records would have to bail him out from serving time. How long a sentence would Frap and Rcprince give him?
None, really, Slawney--I'm thankful for the excellent job he did. And I can sweeten the strings a little with a choice of tubes in the MC stage of my preamp. So I guess I'm more than happy with the way things are; the greatness of the performances and recordings shines through, tubes or transistors. For those who wonder what the difference might have been, though, two interesting possibilities: 1. My recollection is that Analog Productions a few years ago did a reissue of a jazz album (don't recall which) which Bernie had originally mastered, but for which they had Doug Sax do the mastering. In response to protests, they did an alternate version of the same record, same tapes, with Bernie doing the remastering. I have not listened to either, but it might be interesting to compare. 2. Classic did a DAD of the old Ravel Vox Box with the Minnesota Orchestra (I assume Bernie was involved in the remastering, but am not sure), which I have, and which Analog Productions released both as a CD and vinyl record mastered by Mr. Sax. There is a definite bloom and ripeness in the Sax-mastered discs you don't get on the Classic, although in many respects I prefer the Classic version for its neutrality and better transparency, particularly in the lower frequencies (except for the damned reversed channels from track to track--maddening!). Apples and oranges, I know, due to the formats, but in terms of tonal balance the AP versions sound a little colored to me. Wouldn't want to live without either, though!
Slawney, I'm not anti SS as you seem to think. Overall, I feel that classic did a good job with the transfers. The bass and dynamics are superior, as mentioned previously. The "compression" is gone, the overall sound is cleaner, but more sterile as well. The top end is more extended. Some very good improvements. But, the 3D and smoothness of the strings on the originals is compromised on the reissue.
Since the recording was originally mastered all tube, it only makes sense to reissue it that way (RCA themselves thought it best too, on the tape deck at least when thier CD issues were released). I can think of no other reason for the "falsification" of the violins.
Since these Reiner issues are arguably the most important musically and sonically in the Stereo era, I wished for TML's all tube chain, to mimmick the way it was done in 58.
Let it be known that in no way would these recordings have reached exhaulted status SONICALLY, without the original all tube chain used in the birth of stereo.......Frank
Khawk2, I just recovered from a severe attack of choking after reading yr post. BTW, is that the 50's recording of Tchaikovski's violin c. w/ F. Reiner???

Detlof, I'm going back to lithium....

Cheers!
Gregm, Tschaikowsky: Violin Concerto in D, Op. 35 Heifetz/ Fritz Reiner Chicago Symphony Orch. LSC-2129 . (1958) Not the best recording but certainly according to my wife the best performance of the piece. Heifetz makes the violin weep in this piece. This was the first new classical album we ever bought (okay, we bought it at a discount store for $2.99). You can hear Symphony Hall. I think that's one of the elements that make all these RCAs so special is that you can hear the acoustic space. My wife just fell head over heals in love with this piece. Go figure.
Don't choke . Just keep looking. My wife took the above mentioned son (this time he was about 16) to a thrift store in a small town near us. She found 24 (yes that's 24) shaded dogs, 12 White dogs, 8 bluebacks, and they were 50cents each. Most records were very good plus , a few were mintt minus. They were all very playable. Her biggist problem when she finds herself in this situation is to try and hide the joy and stay calm. We only had a few of the records she found so she was very happy. She buys them to play them, not for profit. I took her to the Hi Fi show in NY last weekend and with all the vinyl there I think she only bought 6 records. She says it's just not the same. She's a real piece of work.