Is this why my analog rig isn't so hot?

Hi All,

My system is quite decent, but...

Could it be the voltage output of my Benz Glider is too high?

My photo stage - a 47 Lab PhonoCube - could handle low outputs down to 0.12 mV. Since my Glider has a medium output (0.83 mV) - is this why I'm not that happy with my system? I seem to want to hear more, specially the top.

If I got the same Glider but with a lower output, would it make a difference? Or should I get a better cartridge? And which one?

My system:

Basis 2000 table
RS-A1 Lab arm
Benz Glider (0.83 mV)
47 Lab PhonoCube phono stage
47 Lab Chooser passive preamp
47 Lab Gaincard amp
Konus Audio Essence speakers

Thanks!
George
ngeorge
Dear Raul,
Which harmonic of a 16Hz test tone is lower than the 32Hz organ tone at the beginning of 'Zarathustra', which we hear quite easily?

On the HFN lateral resonance track Paul and I both hear pitch-differentiated test tones at 24, 22, 20, 18 and 16Hz. On the vertical resonance track we hear and distinguish 25, 23, 21, 19 and 17 Hz. I do not claim our system can reproduce these tones with flat frequency response. But reproduce them it can and does.

This is the physical reality on our rig in our home, which you admit you've never heard. When theories don't explain observed realities then it's time to revise the theories. I am fully aware that this process can be uncomfortable.

You have often urged me to listen before passing judgement. That was good advice.

Regards,
Doug
Dear Yourmama: Bag-End ( I can't remember the model ),a pair of Velodyne HGS-15 and a pair of HGS-18.
Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
oh my. seems i've stirred a hornet's nest.lol

Let me get a couple points out right off the bat.
I've had contact with George for several years via email and thru his regular postings on the 47Labs mailing list. As a result,I've been privvy to more of his tastes,viewpoints, concerns and goals than would be apparent to those just reading this thread. He is not a client but because of shared interests and thoughts exchanged, consider him a friend. As we've covered many of the same related issues before and over a period of several years, I probably relate more directly and personally to George than I would a stranger.
My shortlist recommendations to him are based on what I perceive are HIS own personal needs and requirements gathered over this multi year timeframe.If asked for shortlist recommendations to a different person of different goals,system and tastes, my response would be different than I presented to George.
I also personally own and use 47Labs phonocubes in my home system and business. It's function is quite different to that of a conventional phono preamplifier device.One does not alter the load but rather chooses from one of two versions( standard and Hi output ) to match the *gain* based on the internal impedance of the coils of the cartridge being used. Deviating from the ideal internal impedance *range* simply DOES NOT change the tonal balance or basic character of the phonocube. It mearly means that you have an appropriate amount of gain and can thus optimumise the S/N ratio.

best,
k
Yourmama,
We are talking at cross purposes and very much OT of course. My apologies to NGeorge.

I merely mentioned that a Teres 265 can reproduce sub-20Hz notes when properly equipped with a suitable arm and cartridge. I made that remark only to demonstrate one of the capabilities of the Teres brand, which you had previously dismissed out of hand without explanation.

I'd still like to hear your reasons for that dismissal, which might get us back to the topic of this thread.

Cheers,
Doug
George, I can't help but be curious - after receiving all of this information and helpful advise, what course of action do you think you will do to solve your problem. :-) - Newbee

Newbee,
I trust George gave up and bought concert tickets long ago! Or at least I hope so. - Dougdeacon

LOL!

Hi All (I mean all you great guys!),

Today, I took the first step and ordered a Shelter 501 II. I guess it's the consensus that to properly dial in the Phonocube's gain, this cartridge is a 'safe bet.' Since a recommended lower output voltage would make it more compatible (0.4mV against the Glider's 0.83mV); including checking with Yoshi as well (Doug, the "mass" issue is not that critical here, he says).

And I also listened to a Nottingham - with a Shelter 501.

There will be more tables and systems that I will audition (because I know now what to look for), I guess I'm heading in the right direction.

So, in honor of the 28th Modern Olympics, I salute you all!

George