Is this why my analog rig isn't so hot?

Hi All,

My system is quite decent, but...

Could it be the voltage output of my Benz Glider is too high?

My photo stage - a 47 Lab PhonoCube - could handle low outputs down to 0.12 mV. Since my Glider has a medium output (0.83 mV) - is this why I'm not that happy with my system? I seem to want to hear more, specially the top.

If I got the same Glider but with a lower output, would it make a difference? Or should I get a better cartridge? And which one?

My system:

Basis 2000 table
RS-A1 Lab arm
Benz Glider (0.83 mV)
47 Lab PhonoCube phono stage
47 Lab Chooser passive preamp
47 Lab Gaincard amp
Konus Audio Essence speakers

Thanks!
George
ngeorge

Showing 9 responses by caterham1700

Hi George,

Why do you insist on keeping that sonambulent acrylic turd, swapping this and that,fidgeting here & there, yet never satisfied with the outcome? Sell it NOW. It'll only make you crazy.

Best,
Ken
Hi Dan,

I know nothing about ' Yomama's' posting history but I completely concur with his observations regarding the Basis tt and George's present situation. I know George's Gaincard/Essence system context quite well and thru his postings at the 47 Labs mailing list, have come to gain some small degree of insight into his musical values.IMO, he's simply steering towards a dead end in regards to his vinyl rig. He could manipulate the spectral balance with a different cartridge or ditch the wonderful but warmish Phonocube to add sparkle to the dark spectral balance but the sucked out harmonic structure and truncated note shapes inherent in the Basis' design can't easily be repaired.

best,
Ken
Hi George,

Understood.
The Linn is most certainly a possibility as is an original pre- hyperspace plattered Nott Spacedeck. If you'd prefer a new table,maybe check out a Michell Gyro SE if you can. Surprisingly, the little VPI Scout ain't bad either if you can foot the SDS psu.Both the Michell and VPI can be purchased in a modest configuration and incrementally brought up to spec, the Michell attaining a slightly higher level than the Scoutmaster.
If you've more cash to squander, look into the Avid Volvere(not the Acutus), Michell Gyro SE with Orbe platter(rather than full Orbe, DPS(Willy Bauer's Der Platenspeiler) or a Roksan Xerxes X.Arm choices would vary with the deck and/or cartridge.
As a general rule(such as "rules" go),if you want something nimble, stay away from overtly massive platters and acrylic based decks. The problem with the Basis comes from the latter. All that plastic resin has a very specific damping property that sucks the life and air out of the music.Don't even think about a Clearaudio or Teres.

best,
k
Hi George,
Wow? Hardly. ; )
As always, take any recomendation with a grain of salt. fyi- my range of recs reflect a somewhat less PRaT-oriented bias than I would personally choose for myself but more than those of the vast majority posting on this board.My thinking is that your requirements fall somewhere comfortably (and sanely) between round and flat-earths, favoring a direct,lucid,lively presence, with tonal purity, ease and authority- middle earth if you will.The decks mentioned still vary considerably in their presentations of music however.caveat emptor right attcha,dude. hehe

best,
k
George,
Also toss in the upper end Well Tempered decks to the mix.Often available used at reasonable prices.

best,
k
Raul,
Normally, I'd have let your counterpoint stand without a retort but as you used my name several times in your reply, I feel obligated to comment.
The issue here is not that George couldn't eventually band-aid his rig into submission but that he's wasting his energies and monies in doing so.

Re:
>>>"...there are many issues on your high frecuency problem because any single link in your audio system chain is important: room, electronics, loudspeakers, cables, position of your loudspeakers, etc..."<<<

Georges system is a very thorough and complete "textbook" 47 Labs assemblage. He is happy,nay elated, with it's performance on the whole yet he doesn't find that the vinyl portion is meeting his expectations gathered from that which he receives from his digital source.Why muck with the overall system when it's producing the goods for him? The finger points to the vinyl rig.
He's much better off in stepping back and setting up a new game plan that will suit his tastes over the long haul.
Sure the internal impedance of his MO Benz Glider isn't optimal for his standard gain Phonocube but as an owner of such and having used both the standard and high gain models in a variety of situations, I am confident that this isn't the primary source of his dissatisfaction.His futzing over the quality of his vinyl reproduction has been a long standing concern for George over a number of years.It's time for him to move on and solve the problem at the source.

RE:
"70% to 80% of the quality of the sound reproduction comes from the tonearm/cartridge combo"
That tells me more about your musical value system than I cared to know.

regards,
Ken
oh my. seems i've stirred a hornet's nest.lol

Let me get a couple points out right off the bat.
I've had contact with George for several years via email and thru his regular postings on the 47Labs mailing list. As a result,I've been privvy to more of his tastes,viewpoints, concerns and goals than would be apparent to those just reading this thread. He is not a client but because of shared interests and thoughts exchanged, consider him a friend. As we've covered many of the same related issues before and over a period of several years, I probably relate more directly and personally to George than I would a stranger.
My shortlist recommendations to him are based on what I perceive are HIS own personal needs and requirements gathered over this multi year timeframe.If asked for shortlist recommendations to a different person of different goals,system and tastes, my response would be different than I presented to George.
I also personally own and use 47Labs phonocubes in my home system and business. It's function is quite different to that of a conventional phono preamplifier device.One does not alter the load but rather chooses from one of two versions( standard and Hi output ) to match the *gain* based on the internal impedance of the coils of the cartridge being used. Deviating from the ideal internal impedance *range* simply DOES NOT change the tonal balance or basic character of the phonocube. It mearly means that you have an appropriate amount of gain and can thus optimumise the S/N ratio.

best,
k
doug-

Re:
>>>"You didn't say why you'd avoid Clearaudio or Teres or make any model distinctions. Why the blanket slams? How about some specifics. What have you heard?"<<<

Slam? How did you get that and Do you REALLY want me to elaborate?
If you'd like a list of decks that I've had *in my home system*, I'd be more than happy to oblige you but I think it would have the opposite effect from what you're after.
NO deck is perfect,dear sir.EVERY turntable is an amalgam of the designer's own value system,his skill,vision and resources and they are always tempered by the realities of physics, production, ergonomics and marketablity . There exists a wide variety of brands, models & design implemetations available to suit a broad range of listening styles, tastes, budgets and expectations.Let's leave it at that.
Or not.
; )

Regards,
Ken
Doug,

RE:>>>
"If that wasn't a blanket slam then what was it?"<<<
Duh? Sensistive,aren't we?
I wrote above:
"My shortlist recommendations to him are based on what I perceive are HIS own personal needs and requirements gathered over this multi year timeframe.If asked for shortlist recommendations to a different person of different goals,system and tastes, my response would be different than I presented to George."

You consider my statement a "slam" just because I don't feel that the Clearaudio or Teres would suit George's requirements and taste? The Clearaudio decks exhibit very similar traits as his current Basis and the Teres decks in the 3 interations that I've heard in my home system have qualities leaning in the opposite direction than where I perceive George would like to go. My feeling is that George would appreciate a deck with more life and directness than does a Basis,Clearaudio or entry to upper-mid level Teres.Clearly, you are enamored of the Teres presentation style. Just don't expect it to be universal.Again, NO deck will suit everyone.

regards,
k

* acrylic base model, acrylic/lead shot and acrylic/lead w/wood plinth versions in my own systems and an assortment of other models at various show demonstrations at CES & VSAC