preamps - vtl tl5.5/rogue 99/linn kairn

i currently use a linn kairn w/brilliant p/s & fono - great transparency/detail/clarity/pace, & convenience. considering toobs, & have narrowed it down to the vtl tl-5.5 & the rogue 99. both have optional internal fono, like the linn. i'm interested in the possibility of better soundstage depth, but don't wanna give up what the linn does well. speakers are meret re's, bi-amped w/a pair of electrocompaniet amps; lo-end is x-over'd at 60hz w/a marchand 24db/octave x-over, to a pair of bridged adcom gfa 555's driving vmps larger subs. any comments/suggestions? max budget is ~$2k (new *or* used). thanks
sedond
Gmele-read the audio musings review of the 66 vs the a-1.very close over all with the 66 being the most enjoyable.the 99 is much better than the 66 so go figure it out your self.i have heard the a-1 yeah,its ok but way too dark (colored) for my taste.you dont have to resort to insults.i am not "grandstanding" just what I read and heard.sorry if that bothers you.you havent even heard a 99 so what are you talking about anyway.just want to stir things up?
David-I'm not looking to stir anything up here. As far as "grandstanding", don't take that personally, it's more of a reaction to what a lot of people do on this site. At this level of preamp I'm sure that one is better or different than the other but I doubt if it's night and day. I've read the Audio Musings article on the 66 vs AI. In the article it was unclear as to which AI he was listening to, all through the article he keep on referring to the Modulus 3, it wasn't until the end that he mentioned the 3A. There is a big difference between the two. Regardless I'm not looking to win points here or exchange barbs with anyone. From what I've read the 99 seams like an excellent preamp of which I look forward to auditioning. The price is certaily not an issue. All the best-Gary
bob, ya have to push the *record* button on the front of the rogue 99 in order for the record outputs on the back of the unit to work. try this, & it should work for ewe. as my subs are passive, i couldn't run them this way or they'd run full-range, thus the active x-over in my system.

trelja, i agree w/what yure saying, which is why i lost *no* money trying & selling two kairn preamps (one w/latest p/s), the rogue or the cary. i'm *wery* happy w/the melos, & have no intentions of selling it any time soon. comments on wanting to try the vtl 5.5 were more of a rhetorical nature - yust curious as to the sound of this unit. :>) i paid $1800 for my melos music director, spent $200 for additional upgrade caps - not bad considering it retailed for $4600. my musical tastes run the gamut from folk, latin, african, jazz, rock, classical, so i need a system that "does it all"! :>) the melos pre keeps all the clarity of the linn pre & the electrocompaniet amps, while adding that tube warmth, & substantially improving on dynamics and soundstage depth.

regards, doug

Sedond, I tried the button on front and the sub is running full range also, and independent of the pre amps volume. I guess it is just not going to work unless Rogue can do some custom work. Seems that they would have an additional set of outputs to accomadate a sub. Thanks, Bob
Gary-yes the review was confusing.Sorry,I can be impulsive with what I say here.We both have great pre-amps.When I heard the A-1 it wasnt the best set up.The 99 may have sounded dark too in that system.Best to you also.... :)