Kef Kube equalizer

Audio junkies: Can anyone explain the function of the Kef Kube equalizer, and tell me whether there is a viable substitute? I just bought a used pair of Kef Reference 103/4 speakers. I need to repair the dual-woofer surrounds, so I haven't heard them yet. I have read glowing reviews,however, but most recommend using the Kef Kube 200 active equalizer to bring out the bass response (without colouration, I'm told). I have submitted an Audiogon want-ad for a Kube 200, but I'm wondering if there is a substitute in the event I can't find one. Are these things simply graphic equalizers? Also, on the diagrams I've seen, the unit appears to just have RCA jacks. If that is true, can you even use one with a mid/high-end A/V receiver? Thanks. -KlipschKing
klipschking
If your av receiver does not have a tape loop, your only option is to place it between the source component and the av receiver.
Thanks guys. My unit is a Pioneer Elite A/V receiver, and it has both a tape monitor in/out, as well as a pre-amp out. Im not sure about a amp in connection; I'll pull my owner's manual. Pardon my ignorance, but how would using the tape in/out work?? I would play the receiver in the tape mon. mode? I really expected to have 5-way binding-post type connections for right and left channel in/out, but looks like I don't understand the process well enough.
Hi everyone

Would an equalizer from another company work in place of KEF K-UBE or KUBE? I was able to acquire a nice pair of KEF 103.3 speakers but the original owner can't find the KUBE EQ that went along with it. I tried listening and the bass sounded thin. Any recommendations on any KUBE replacements would be much appreciated. Any other solutions around this are more than welcome as well and appreciated.

Thanks
Years ago, JPS Labs made after market eq's for speakers such as yours, that came with oem bass boost eq's called golden flutes. Another dealer (in Denver?)was making similar products for B&W speakers and maybe others, I think they called them Muaghn boxes or something to that effect. Perhaps you could contact KEF or keep your eyes open for used originals or the aftermarket replacements mentioned above. Without them, your speakers are not able to do all that they are capable of.
Get a Behringer DEQ2496 equalizer. It will automatically make your KEF speakers flat, so you won't need to figure out what the original KEF equalizer did.