VPI HW 16,5 vs. Okki Nokki

I want a record cleaner, but witch one will be best?

VPI HW 16,5 or Okki Nokki, or will you recomend another?

Pierre
pierre1976
Personally, I'm a Nitty-Gritty guy...real dirty records with smatterings of peanut butter and jelly, I steam clean
If you only want to choose between these two, I can only recommend the 16.5 because that's what I use.
Are you sure you want to limit yourself to these two choices only? How much time and effort are you willing to put into lp cleaning? What is your budget?
For the ultimate in lp cleaning on a budget, steam is without question the choice, IMO. Again, that's what I use in the 1st step. Some people like the Spin Clean, but I don't like the dirty fluid getting on my hopefully clean lps. I use a pre-cleaner of AT enzimatic, then steam, then a 2nd step (AI) on my Record Dr., then a rinse on my 16.5. I never worry again. That's important.
I agree, VPI makes some great equipment. However, its current machines are old technology. Ultra sonic is the newer technology and does a much better job of cleaning. So while currently ultra is more expensive, it is the future. No special fluids needed. Rumor has it that Harry is working on his own version of ultra. Those efforts will be a challenge as the patents for the technology in place a very strong. So, if you want the best, beyond VPI and Keith Monks, go ultra. Any don't forget the steam.
I've used both and ended up preferring the Okki Nokki.

The advantages over the VPI:

1. It's quieter
2. Spins in both directions
3. Platter runs indefinitely without getting hot.
4. Aluminum outer casing

The one thing the Okki Nokki lacks is a proven track record, I've not had any problems with mine (1.5 years use) but time will tell. Also, the price has gone up $100 since I bought mine so it's not quite the bargain it used to be.