VPI Scoutmaster Tonearms

Hello All

Just curious I have a Scoutmaster with a 9 signature arm. Could I just switch out other arms that are complete or would I have to change the location where it is mounted. Was thinking about upgrading arm but do not want to drill.

Thanks and Good Listening
warpig
Hi Moonguy....When I did the change I didn't think it was 20% better...I thought it was less. I think they both can accomodate the best cartridges made..... in my view,a cartridge upgrade if needed is money better spent. I have a Benz LPS which I think is absolutely wonderful. You will need a different rear weight if you intend to mount the LPS..Let VPI know your intentions and they will work out the weight you need.
If you would like to use a longer arm it may be easier to use an arm that will mount on the surface of the plinth. Even so it may require careful study to find an arm that is compatible. If it is still listed in the turntable sales section you should look at the custom made Panzer holz "Aries" plinth. A plinth like that could easily be used with a greater number of tonearms.
You can upgrade to a VPI Classic 2 or VPI Classic 3 arm (I did) but it will involve some minor drilling (note: the VPI Classic 3 tonearm provides on-the-fly VTA adjustment).

As for other "non-VPI' arms, you will have to drill through the plinth for the tonearm wiring unless you get something like a Tri-Planar VII Ultimate tonearm ($5,700 US).

The thing to remember with some of the VPI turntables, like the Scoutmaster, is that the "acrylic-like" material that VPI uses, gets sticky when it heats up. It sticks onto the drill bit, making it easy to mess up.
No drilling required....the arm mounts on the surface which requires installing 3 (I think) screws....very easily done. VPI will send you a metal guide for precision installation. The only caveat is that the screws go in straight and not at an angle...again...easily done