What defines a high compliance cartridge vs low

This question has two parts and derives from the recent tone arm thread.
What do you think is a highly complant cartridge specification? What would be a low or resistant compliance figure? Where does one draw the line in terms of the specs provided?
Knowing that tone arm mass and compliance are important considerations for optimal performance, then what formula, or ratio do you use for optimal tone arm mass for a given compliance? Or Vice Versa?
mechans
Virian,
The mods were done for me by my friend Vytas Viesulas. He is the engineer behind. The $15,000 Veloce Battery power preamp and he is now working with an actual employee.
You can try to reach him through their website. He patterned the mod to make it a " DJH Signature" except with SS rectification I think.
The mods were mainly expensive Blackgates and Mundorf caps, and better fast acting slow recovery Hexfreds.
He romved an extra unused circuit (wire that accomplished nothing) and used audiophile wire through out.
The strangest thing was that we were both afraid it would change the great sound. When he came to deliver it. The outcome was that it's remarkable sonics were just as good even without breakin. I can't say it was better than the great preamp before mods. How do make a great thing better.
I am truly surprised that they stopped making them. They get bought in one day. If you pony up $1200 Upscale Audio has some souped up brand new ones.
The critical point with this pre is that it needs good 6SN7s which is actually why I bought it. I wanted a pre that used 6SN7s because I had a large collection. It is in the gain stage, sp I can hear the drifferences in their sound. Even though I had tubes that tested NOS or ANOS, I found that many were quite microphonic or noisy.
If you buy yours from Kevin Deal at Upscale, he also has quite a large collection of tested tubes for importantly microphonics.
I own many 6SN7s and the winner is.... the Brimar 6SN7GTY CV1988. The sad new is I couldn't make up . So I chose some Metal based Sylvania 6SN7Ws. Kevin may have the commercial version of it which I also have and is as good or better but they are NIB and really NOS.
I don't want to use them up until I can get another pair. They have the Chrome about 1/2 to 2/3 down "the Chrome Dome." It is a very early version marked as a 6SN7 not even GT ans Sylvania on the black base.
I bought my AE-3 used for $350, the tubes are valued for more. I think original was $500 or so. It was 4-5 years old and I paid 70% and was happy to get it.
Good luck
Disclamer As always I get nothing from any merchant I mention No other conflict of interest
Looking at the specs for the Redgum phono stage,I personally think that the R.I.A.A curve is not really flat(+/- 0.5) and going down to 10Hz might be too sensitive at the lower end of the scale for M.M.Do they the roll-off at 35Khz? The competing Project S.E Phono looks better on paper,much flatter R.I.A.A( no more than 0.3dB fluctuation all up across 20Hz to 20Khz))with impedance adjustment as well.I think the phono stage is the issue given they sell the table with the Goldring M.M.
Interesting figures above. FWIW; Anything under 10g is considered LOW MASS, and if a cartridge had a compliance of 50; it would be considered Stratospheric(high compliance STARTS at 20, and the charts only go to 50). I don't know about, "the Old Days", but none of the figures have changed since 1980. Here's a site that gives the formulas you need, and some pertinent info: ( http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/tonearmcartridge.html ) and another, that you may find useful: ( http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_database.php?m=Denon&t=mc&mod=103d&sort=1&Search=Search&sty=&ovlo=&ovhi=&can=&dclo=&dchi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=¬es=&prlo=&prhi= ) Another point that many miss: Compliance varies with frequency. Another helpful site: ( http://www.resfreq.com/resonancecalculator.html )
Post removed 
Thanks to all,
Rodman thanks for the links, but essentially I can't do much to change the arm on the MMF-5 so I will sell it some day when and if I can afford a second MC system.
Stefani thanks for the details on the RedGum. I don't hear any roll off with these speakers. VR2s don't produce the lowest bass.
They are very good speakers but were the smallest floor standers in the VS VR line at the time. They were bought for WAF and the fit and finish . The lightly patterned maple veneer is still mint despite kids and about 10 years of use.
However they are probably not the best match for the superb DA-60. I still recommend them because they are an incredible bargain. I heard that some were manufactured in China some time after I bought mine which are USA made in San Diego.